Paramus, New Jersey, USA [Results]

Saturday September 19th 2009
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Paramus, New Jersey, USA [Results]

Post by Joan T »

Our Sketchcrawl took place at the Bergen County Zoo, Van Saun Park in Paramus, NJ.
My first sketch was of a Chestnut-Mandibled Toucan sitting up in a tree. Loved his coloring! The Spectacled Owl was very cooperative and sat fairly still while I sketched and painted.

I think the Americal Alligator posed the best of all the animals. You would think he was stuffed. The Mountain Lion was sitting on a perch high up and I couldn't see most of him. That Spider Monkey was much too restless to sketch. He never stopped moving!!

The Ocelot wasn't very cooperative. He kept climbing up and down from his perch. The Scarlet Ibis was gorgeous! What great color.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Paramus, New Jersey, USA [Results]

Post by mhimeswc »

Your sketches look awesome, Joan!

Joan and I did this sketchcrawl together. I wish my sketches came out this well. I will post mine later.
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by alissa »

What a fun day you had - the zoo is a great idea. The mountain lion is great - you have caught a look in his eyes as he peers between the bushes
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Okay, I finally found my sketchbook where I tossed it when we got back from the sketchcrawl. Sigh!

After some struggles with both my new micron pen and my new water brush, I got a decent sketch of the toucan. The mountain lion was way high up in a crevice. After my sketch he came down and paced a bit.

I love this alligator. He stayed in one position for the whole sketch. There were three or four of them sunning themselves.

I decided that painting was taking too long so I just did a quick sketch of the owls.

This was the most difficult and frustrating sketch/sketches that I did, and I was ready to quit. I don't know how Joan did it, but these guys were moving so fast that I barely got a line down. The one almost complete spider monkey was done from memory after starting and erasing several times. This was a pose that they repeated many times as they walked back and forth, but I still wasn't fast enough.

After the failure to get a decent spider monkey sketch, I gave up and took some photos. Then I noticed these birds and just had to sketch them. I didn't get a chance to paint them because the zoo was closing.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Alissa - Thanks so much.

Mickey - Glad you found the sketchbook. Great sketches, even the monkey who moved so much for us! Love the alligator best of all. That's a fun place to sketch, but it seems like they're always closing and sending us home before I'm ready to go. LOL
Morrys
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Morrys »

the mountain Lion is so cool! like him in the rock environment!
Good choice guys! lots of sketches!
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Thanks, Joan and Morrys!

Return to “24th World Wide SketchCrawl”