January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post by crgcas »

Hey all!! So we have the Phoenix Herpetological Society reserved ... one thing to consider (that I hadn't earler) is that it will cooler and harder to get all of the critters to come out and play. There are a lot of alligators, crocs and monitors that may be hiding in their heated pools instead of baking in the sun, hard to say until closer to the date and we know how warm it will be. There are plenty of snakes to sketch inside the classroom and some VERY exotic ones. The tortoises will all be hibernating exept for the galapogos which might hide in their heated house. Do you all want to go and see what we can see or reschedule for a warmer crawl (or both)?

If not DC Ranch is a good fallback unless there are some other good suggestions.
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Phoenix, AZ USA

Post by Mossgate »

Hay Craig....

Maybe jumping the gun a little on this one? Next time around would offer a chance at warmer weather and lounging lizards where we can see them. You would be the best bet for some downright cute lounging lizards, too.

But that's just my opinion............

We could put maybe about as much mileage on if we went to the Mystery Castle. That's an amazing place to sketch. Lots of odd things mortared into rock walls, odd collections of things here and there in various rooms The whole place is constructed from rocks. http://phoenix.about.com/od/attractions ... tle_10.htm Check it out. I have found my photos taken in 2007 and will post some here or on my blog this evening. Will give you the link to my blog probably.

Mossgate
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Okay....here are a few photos of the Mystery Castle that I took in 2007. http://mossgatejournal8.blogspot.com/20 ... -2007.html
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: desert reptiles

Post by Mossgate »

Could this great weather last till the SketchCrawl?? Should we wait until the week before to see? I really would like to see the desert reptiles and other critters, too.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

It might! Even if it is a little cooler we should be OK, this is ideal weather for them as they will be out but not too overactive and easy to sketch. We can plan on the Herpetological Society then change gears if it is too cold at the last minute.
ChaosEtc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ChaosEtc »

I'm willing to risk the weather on the Herp Society. It seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. :-) Can you post the address/map?

Mystery Castle also sounds like a neat place. Maybe we could do that for the spring crawl?
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Okay with me............ Post map and meeting time.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Whoa - it is this Saturday already!

Here are the directions .. I'll be there by 9am so just show up anytime after that. I will try to find a few extra portable chairs but I would recommend bringing one if you have it. It is a private facility and there are quite a number of places to set up and draw there, mostly outside.

Take Scottsdale Road North to Dynamite.
Turn Right (East) onto Dynamite.
Turn Right (South) onto 78th Street - it can sneak up on you so be looking for it.
The Herpetological Society is on the Left, proceed to the 2nd gate and look for parking near the gate.

Once inside there is a large metal barn - look for myself or someone nearby to direct you where to go. Please feel free to send me a note and I'll email you my cell #.

See you all then - I can't wait!
ChaosEtc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ChaosEtc »

Sounds great, we'll see you there! I think you already have my email address.
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Okay.....see you there. Will bring my portable stool.
MaryIrene
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MaryIrene »

Hi all,

My first sketch crawl-I'm looking forward to it? Question, how late will you all be there? I might not be able to make it until early afternoon, and want to make sure that won't be too late. Thanks!
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Hi MaryIrene,

It varies a lot - we often grab lunch then some of us return to sketching and other crawl on. I have to head out by 3 or so at teh latest to make it to a meeting, can't say for everyone else. I will send you a private message through this fourum with my cell # so yo ucan call or text to see if we are still there.

See you tomorrow!

Craig

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”