Saturday July 23rd 2011
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix, AZ - USA

Post by crgcas »

Hey again!

So is the vote for the Musical Instrument Museum? I still have not been there to check it out but (as always) can be talked into just about anything. This would be super close for me (less than a mile away) but might be a hike for all of you down south of here.

I actually squeezed a personal crawl in Williams this past weekend so I am slightly more prepared for this one ;-)

Can't wait to see you all again!

Craig
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Phoenix, AZ - USA

Post by Mossgate »

The MIM is at least easy to get to on the 101. Exit at Tatum. Turn north and in a blink of an eye the MIM will be on the left side of the street. I think it costs $18 unless you qualify for some type of discount. Endless subject matter to sketch.

Aurora
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Musican Instrum. Museum correction

Post by Mossgate »

Correction on directions: It's SOUTH of the 101 on Tatum Blvd., on the WEST side of the street. It is a large complex that stands alone. It's on the intersecton of Mayo and Tatum. Just a quick jog from the 101. Can't miss it.
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

I'm in. Does anyone know if they allow water colors?

Annie
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

I know they don't mind photography so I'm sure sketching will be no problem either. Considering how easy going the atmosphere is there I have a feeling that if you used a Niji water-contained brush (or other similar brand) and a few discreet watercolors, I bet you'd have no problem. They don't allow food or beverages in the display areas so I'm sure water containers would not be allowed either.
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

I was going to recommend meeting at the cafe before we all wandered off, however.....the cafe doesn't open til 11 a.m. Problem is....by noon the cafe could be packed so it becomes hard to find a place for all of us to sit together....or sit at all .....same goes for the restaurant. Someone was a little bit shortsighted when they decided on the size for those two rooms.

We could all meet at the gift shop across from the entrance doors and make our meeting plans for later in the day. After we are finished there is a Pita Jungle, Sweet Tomatos, and a bunch of other restaurants close by.

The museum opens at 9 a.m.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

That sounds good to me - might be a lot cheaper at one of the places nearby. Might even get some addl. sketching in if it is cool enough to eat at desert ridge (doubtful if it is anything like today).

BTW: I talked to someone there and they said sketchers are welcome but it is pencil only - no pens or paints. If everyone wants to go we cold always sketch onsite then paint, ink and eat nearby.

Craig
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

If you photograph the subject that you sketch you will have your visual notes on the color scheme for later reference.
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Craig.....

I went over the SketchCrawl FAQ instructions on how to create the photo links using Flickr images. I had my own way of doing it in Flickr that worked up until the last sketchcrawl. This time I will do it according to the instructions and hopefully I won't have to link to my blog again. I'll bring the instructions with me and over lunch during the crawl you can tell me if that's how you do it.
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

No pens, wow, they are a tough crowd! Pencil is ok with me though.

Annie
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: meeting time

Post by Mossgate »

Should we set an arrival meeting time....say, at the gift shop?
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Sure - 9am near the lobby/giftshop or is that too early for everyone?

Mossgate: I'll bring a laptop so we can try out posting photos while we are there!

See you all on Saturday!
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Just because doors don't always open right on time, and standing at a locked door in the heat :oops: would not be a good thing, could we make that 9:30 a.m.? Those that get there earlier could meander back to the gift shop/lobby at this time.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Agreed! That sounds good!

Also- I got confirmation via email from their guest services manager that it indeed B&W pencil only, they are expecting us there Saturday. There are also a few couches and a piano off to the right of the lobby as you walk in where we could meet as well. Anyone arriving later should be able to meet up with other sketches pretty easily there and then we can all meet somewhere for lunch nearby and add some color ;)

See you all on Saturday!
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

Sounds great to me, we'll be there. :-)

Return to “32nd World Wide SketchCrawl”