Ottawa, Canada [Results]

Saturday January 22nd 2011
LissaRachelle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Ottawa, Canada [Results]

Post by LissaRachelle »

Am hoping some other people will join me on January 22 for a SketchCrawl at The Canadian Museum of Nature in downtown Ottawa. Due to our lovely, dependably freezing Canadian winter weather, I decided to do my SketchCrawl at the museum where it's pleasantly warm and there is so much of interest to draw.

This will be my first time ever on a SketchCrawl, though I have known about them and wanted to do one for quite a while. I will make up some flyers and distribute them locally in the hope that I'll have some company for what I hope will become an Ottawa tradition in future :)

Here are the details:

When: Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM - whenever (come whenever you like and leave whenever you like)

Where: The Canadian Museum of Nature, 240 McLeod Street, Ottawa, Ontario

Cost: Museum Admission - $10.00; Parking $1.75/½ hour or max $10/day; lunch (unless you brown bag it) and dinner

(Edited) Itinerary I Plan To Follow:

10:15 AM: East Wing 1st Floor – Meet & Greet at the Canadian Museum of Nature Cafeteria
10:30 AM: Canadian Museum of Nature West Wing 4th Floor – Bird Gallery & Discovery Zone
11:30 AM: Canadian Museum of Nature East Wing 3rd Floor – Vale Earth Gallery
12:30 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature East Wing 1st Floor – Meet up for lunch at the Cafeteria
1:15 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature West Wing 2nd Floor – Mammal Gallery
2:30 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature East Wing 2nd Floor – Blue Water Gallery
3:30 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature West Wing 1st Floor – Talisman Energy Fossil Gallery
4:15 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature West Wing Basement – Animalium
4:45 PM: Canadian Museum of Nature Atrium/Entrance – Meet for Sketchbook Sharing & Signing (please try to be on time for this as Museum closes at 5:00 pm)
5:00 PM: OPTIONAL! Leave Museum for Local Pub/Restaurant (nearby location to be decided) for Drinks & Eats

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by LissaRachelle on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LissaRachelle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Ottawa, Canada

Post by LissaRachelle »

Just letting anyone who may be planning to attend know that I edited the itinerary slightly.

Also, I will not be able to go for the Optional Drinks & Eats afterward due to other dinner plans.
LissaRachelle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Ottawa, Canada [Results]

Post by LissaRachelle »

Well, unfortunately, my SketchCrawl was not nearly as productive as I'd hoped it would be.

It was freezing cold out (-25C!) and so it seems that every family in Ottawa thought it would be a nice idea to visit the museum (along with their curious little kids - "whatcha drawing?" "why are you drawing that?") for the day. So, the museum itself was very crowded, making it rather difficult to set up anywhere where I wasn't being jostled because I was in someone's walking path, stared at because I was in someone's viewing path, or craning my head this way and that in an effort to see through the bodies to the object I was trying to draw.

And so, because of the crowds and because I didn't see any other sketchers while I was there (aside from my friend who came with me), I ultimately cut the day short and left at about 3:00 pm, having managed to get in only a couple of sketches. Despite how the day turned out though, I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait til the next SketchCrawl.

For those interested, I have started an Ottawa SketchCrawlers group on Flicker, and have posted my sketches from the 30th WorldWide SketchCrawl there.

Return to “30th World Wide SketchCrawl !!!”