SketchCrawl Los Angeles

Drawings and tales from november 21st 2004
Kazu
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

SketchCrawl Los Angeles

Post by Kazu »

Welp, not too many showed up over here, but Rad Sechrist, Richard Pose, and I sat around the Nucleus store after eating Chinese food and messed around in our sketchbooks. Being around so many cool books, I wanted to start making something for a mini-comic of my own, so I started a Prisoners Alphabet book. Hehehe. It was fun going straight to ink. It's pretty intense, but also really freeing...

http://www.boltcity.com/garage/sketchcrawl.htm
Kev
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Cooool!

Post by Kev »

Very cool Kazu. Love all your work. Those drawings would make a great little book.

Kev
rainboy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rainboy »

Such cute little book!
Me like e characters in it too.
kwint
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Sketchcrawling at the Doodah parade

Post by kwint »

I had already been planning to attend the Doo Dah Parade in Pasadena on the 21st, and I drew at it last year, so it was a natural choice for sketchcrawl day.

Click the Nov. 23 link here to see the drawings
http://www.karenwinters.com/journalpages/

Karen
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

SketchCrawl Los Angeles

Post by storydesign »

SketchCrawl is a great idea and i will join in whenever it happens. There have been some great drawings showing up on this board.

Since moving back to L.A. from New York City a couple of years ago, I have found very few sketch artists out here to hang with and build up the sketchbooks! (everybody is struggling is some animation job if they are lucky and don't spend much time socializing anymore)..

I think it is much more conducive to getting inspired if you aren't spending your life in your car on the Hollywood freeway. That is what i miss in NY and San Francisco... the active art culture. Maybe this will generate some enthusiam for just having fun drawing, on location.

My contributions were while I was in the middle of a weekend computer workshop. I spent Sunday morning driving around North Hollywood a shooting pictures in the drizzle, hoping to sketch away in the evening after class.
I ended up drawing in the computer class and a bit at Jennifer's Coffee in Studio City CA.. my favorite spot.

I wish I had time to hook up with other artists for such an event. It was fun. let's do it again!
JM

Computer workshop for the weekend at Los Angeles Valley College

morning coffee in Studio City CA hangout
Last edited by storydesign on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
mital
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mital »

bleh...I was sick starting Wednesday...I missed three days of work...Marshall's watercolor class...AND sketchcrawl. I'm so weak to virii (and my own self-sabotage). I'm gonna randomly do a sketchcrawl one of these days...probably when we go to the Getty again...that place has some cool buildings.
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Kazu: Those drawings were awesome, and very funny. :) I especially liked the Friendly Scorpion, and the I. :) Great great great great great. A very fun style of drawing, I say..

Kwint: That Doo-Dah Parade sounds like an awesome event! ^^ I only wish to experience it one time, maybe in the near future. :) Maybe when I get into college.. (I'm gonna go to Pasadena Art Center, so.. ya know.. I'd be in Pasadena.) :) Dooooooooo-dah.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

hmm, just found the links. (How did i mis them the 1st time?)

But really nice work for KAzu, really creative ideas in such cute forms :)

and I like the parade drawings, gosh there is great details in the work. kwint must be a master at drawing moving things :)
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Last Minute

Post by overvision »

Howdy fellow SketchCrawlers,

NEWBIE ALERT!!

I apologize for posting this TWICE. This was originally posted as a 'new subject' but it should have been posted in this "Los Angeles" section (which I just did).
I suppose that it's too late to delete the original thread, so I'm afraid we're stuck with it.

Anyway, I hadn't really planned on participating because Sunday was a superbusy day, I couldn't get free until after 8:00 PM. Around 8:30 I decided to go ahead and get off my butt, so I rode my bike around Downtown L.A. but came up empty-handed. Just too darn dark!
So I decided to catch the subway to Hollywood & Vine. On the way I spied this intriguing scene. I regret painting it in my cheap sketch pad, instead of my good 'watercolor' pad!

After arriving to Hollywood & Vine, I rode my bike up to highland and discovered that "The Incredibles" movie was starting within 10 minutes at the luxurious El Capitan theater, so I took advantage of the moment and saw one of the coolest movies of the millennium!

Catching the subway back to Union Square I just couldn't find a suitable scene, so on an interim stop I jumped off and ran ahead to a different car where I found a suitable subject surrounded by decent abstract shapes. This was completed on nice 'watercolor' paper just under the wire, around midnight.

Finally arriving home (Union Square) I exited the train and caught this guy nodding out. I decided to sketch him even though it was well after the midnight deadline.
Before finishing we were chased out of the train station by security guards so I had to complete the sketch in my studio. I felt this dude had an interesting face and body language.

Well, that's about it.
Thanks Enrico for igniting us into action to fulfill our dreams!

O
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

A few good men at Nucleus eh KazuKun ? Guess the sketchbook session crew couldn't make it ...
oh well ... thanks for representing (considering your busy schedule) and thanks to Ben for hosting the small party ...
nice pen drawings K !

E

Post by Guest »

to o @ overvision

i am jealous of your work
really great capture train scenes
the line and color... well c'est magnifique

no blarneybytes either :)

patty

-

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:to o @ overvision

great capture train scenes
the line and color... well c'est magnifique

no blarneybytes either :)

patty

-
Thanks for the kind words Patty.
A lot of truly talented artist participated in this inspiring event.
Just wait 'till you get a load of Jim Mitchell's sketches (if he can ever figure out how to up load them).

We really should do this more often.

O
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by overvision »

By the way, what da' heck is a blarneybyte?

O
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by storydesign »

Late posting... been busy

suprised not many turned out from LA for the crawl... I had a computer workshop all weekend, so didn't get to draw much outside.

good Job Overvision!
jm
my two sense...
http://homepage.mac.com/storydesign/PhotoAlbum4.html

Return to “1st World Wide SketchCrawl day!”