Seattle, WA SketchCrawl 28 Suggestions

Saturday July 31 2010
penartist7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Seattle, WA SketchCrawl 28 Suggestions

Post by penartist7 »

Opening this up for SketchCrawl 28 suggestions in Seattle.

- Mark Ryan
http://studiobistro.blogspot.com/
metaloxmike
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Seattle, WA SketchCrawl 28 Suggestions

Post by metaloxmike »

Mark:

I noticed jnewday had a good suggestion about the 27th Sketchcrawl that you might want to consider for the 28th. She suggested the Evergreen-Washelli cemetery near Aurora and 115th. While I've never been to this cemetery (I live in Hawaii), if you have cemeteries like ours, then she's got a good point. She said:

". . . . it is a great place to walk; lots of trees, birds, some fountains, a huge variety of cultures represented---each with a separate section----military, Asian, Jewish, Greek orthodox, Russian orthodox, Lutheran, and so on. Perhaps some might find the idea a bit creepy, but there are really some unique memorials here and lots of history, too, definitely some famous Seattle names like Denny and Frye, for example. . . ."

We did a mini-sketchcrawl "spooktacular" in Oahu Cemetery in October 2009. It was similar to what she had said. There were the trees, birds, not so many fountains. There was also all those unique memorials and history. A local cemetery researcher told us that some of the sculptures and artwork found in cemeteries were on a par with those in many museums, but you could reach out and touch them, unlike those in museums.

I also noticed that while it was in a busy part of Honolulu, it was also pretty quiet there. And since the land sloped a bit, and we had started our mini-crawl around 3:30pm, we were able to get a very nice view of the Honolulu skyline backlighted by the setting sun around 6:30pm. Just the kind of thing to see in a cemetery! While we didn't have the time, some of us had come prepared to also tell a few spooky stories before we left. Can you imagine? The quiet, the setting sun, the spooky stories. Very cool!

Sorry for being so wordy, but I just wanted to be sure you didn't pass up a suggestion just because it might have been a bit creepy. Our spooktacular mini-crawl was SUPPOSED to be a bit creepy, but it unexpectedly turned out to be a relaxing, thought-provoking (and sometimes poingnant) trip back in time, as well as a great opportunity to sketch things we didn't see every day. 'Nuff said.

Aloha,

Mike T.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

Aloha~~`

I have been out of the sketching world for way too long, and I hope to join this one, if I don't get called helping at a wedding that is :)
either way, I found the cemetery idea pretty cool. I do wish that everyone may have a nearby place to meet up before/after the drawing sessions so we can talk loudly without disturbing the resting-in-peace's.

I'm open to other ideas as well :)
penartist7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by penartist7 »

Mike and Littlefish,
I think a cemetery is a great idea. I've spent an entire day sketching in cemetery, you find the most beautiful monuments (great works of art themselves) and often the sketch is enhanced with the interesting of history that goes with. Seattle's Lake View Cemetery (Capitol Hill, next to Volunteer Park) looks like it would provide some interesting man-made subjects and and some panoramic views for landscapes. There isn't much in regards to food or coffee establishments close by so you would have to pack a lunch or snacks to hold you over. It is on a bus line from downtown. I will check with the Lake View Cemetery Assoc. to see if permission is needed to sketch as a group. Let me know if you had another in mind.

Mark
Saramel
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Saramel »

Hey everyone,
I'm new- I'm not sure how this goes - are we just going to meet up at the cemetery in the morning, or are the details still being hammered out? I just wanna make sure to be there at the right place/time - I'm gonna get my sister to come with me, and we can't wait!
2dbean
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by 2dbean »

So I've never been to the Seattle sketch crawls. A lot of folks? A few? Have you made a decision yet?
penartist7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by penartist7 »

Let's meet just inside the East entrance of Lake View Cemetery at 10am. The entrance to the cemetery is located at 15th Ave. E and (near) E. Garfield St.. The #10 Metro bus from downtown travels 15th Ave. Parking can be found at next door Volunteer Park and possibly in the cemetery (I'm waiting for a reply from them).

Lake View Cemetery Association
1554 15th Ave E
Seattle WA 98112
http://www.lakeviewcemeteryassociation.com/contact.php

There is no set format for this, though at past SketchCrawls, we've sketch and painted until 12:30 or 1pm, met for lunch and shared the morning's efforts (for those who wish to do so) after which everyone had the option to head out sketching again or call it a day. About 2 or 3 blocks East of the entrance is the Volunteer Park Cafe - It opens at 8am on Saturdays, serves breakfast all day and sounds like a good place close by for those who want to take a lunch break. It's all optional.

Volunteer Park Cafe
http://alwaysfreshgoodness.com/index.html
1501 17th Avenue East (at Galer)
Seattle, WA 98112

See you there,

Mark Ryan
http://www.studiobistro.blogspot.com/

Return to “28th World Wide SketchCrawl”