San Francisco [RESULTS]

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

San Francisco [RESULTS]

Post by John D »

It was a bright and clear day, warm in the sun and a little chilly in the shade.
When I arrived Kevin was already at work and we saw a group of about eight guide dogs for the blind in training.
I started to wander a bit and stopped at the corner of 3rd and Mission where I stood drawing in the chilly shade.
Then I walked up Mission to an open park in front of the Jewish Museum where I tried to get the heads of a few passers by and my fellow bench sitters.
ImageImageImageImage
Now I have to admit, the dogs wouldn't really hold still like this for very long and I couldn't draw that fast anyway so this was a sketch from the image in my camera while I was scarfing down a sandwich at a Starbucks nearby and this guy was passing by outside the window.
ImageImage
I didn't think I was drawing all that well so I started out after lunch to find the garage where I parked my truck. Instead, I found two or three hundred high school girls waiting in line outside the Auditorium for a Fashion Institute of Design Runway Show. Some were there with their mothers which made an interesting contrast in both dress and posture. The bottom half of the girls was considerably more still than the top half so when I finally settled down I found myself drawing their shoes and boots and that cheered me up a little.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
I left early for some work I had to do at home but stopped by to look over the shoulders of the sketchcrawlers spread out along the benches and walkway above the gardens. I'm always impressed by the quality of work I see at these events!
And Happy 5th Anniversary to the Sketchcrawl!
Last edited by John D on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
Goro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco [RESULTS]

Post by Goro »

What a beautiful day in SF!
Lots of people, awesome location, great crawl.
We sketched a little bit at the meeting point before we went to check out the Maurice Sendak exhibit at the Contemporary Jewish Museum.
After that we went back to the Buena Yerba Gardens until the end of the crawl.
Congrats Enrico for the 5th year anniversary and thanks for the Shirt!

I also took some pictures. You can download them here. (4.38MB)

and my sketches from today
Erwin Madrid
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Erwin Madrid »

Awesome Sketchcrawl! Glad to make the 5th year anniversary. Thanks Enrico!!!

rohit
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rohit »

great sketches...
the ones focusing on accessories, footwear, shades is quite cool...
revengeofthepencil
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by revengeofthepencil »

Very nice work. These make me homesick for California.
Revenge of the Pencil - A Sketch Blog From New Orleans, LA
http://revengeofthepencil.blogspot.com
Miss B-Movie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Miss B-Movie »

My friend and I sort of cheated-due to travel complications, we couldn't make it to the city on time, so we ended up meeting in Sausalito around noon. There was no one around that interested me to sketch, so I'm either really picky or Sausalito people are just boring to sketch! The SF ones look great so far, wish I coulda made it!
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

John - Super sketches of all the people and I just love the one of the streetcorner!!

Goro - Wonderful sketches of everyone sketching!!! Great job!

Erwin - Impressive buildings and people!

Miss-B-Movie - Excellent skyline and building!!
cbcanga
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by cbcanga »

this was my fist sketchcrawl. good times.... i'll plan on going to more in the future.
Last edited by cbcanga on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
milkgap
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by milkgap »

Haven't had a chance to scan anything yet, but here are two digital sketches from my phone... still not so good with this application (Brushes), but it's fun!

Snooping down on someone who looked cold from the stairs inside the Metreon, where I was nice and warm:

The group at the end of the day.... wish I had more time to finish it, but the sun was quickly going away:
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

Very cool day in Yerba Buena Center, and it turned into a very COLD day in the late afternoon!
When I got there at 10:30, there was one man practicing tai chi, and another not far away practicing moves with a katana sword. I enjoyed the contrast of the very peaceful and the very violent. And a bunch of the sketchcrawlers showed up with really cool hats!

In the early afternoon, it was pretty warm in the park, and people were taking advantage of it. The three Chinese girls with the camera were cracking me up. They were trying to take pictures capturing themselves jumping in midair. With most digital cameras, you need a bit of luck to pull that off. They tried and tried for several minutes. Then they put the camera down on the ground, put it on self timer, and tried to get all three of them jumping. I just loved this scene of unabashed frivolity!

My afternoon watercolor attempt. It was so cold down where I was, I thought my water was going to freeze! So I came back up into the sun to finish it.

This was in the museum coffee shop and BART ride home. It got so cold outside, if my coffee cup were about a hundred times bigger I would have climbed inside it! But it was a really fantastic day, and so good to see everyone again.
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by alissa »

Great sketches from everyone and so many of them!

John D- love the idea of concentrating on shoes when the peoplemove so much. I must try that inthe future
Goro - love the sketches of sketchers
Mis B Move - fantastic skyline

Alissa

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31752495@N03/
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Neat collection of styles and technique; I loved the afternoon watercolor of the church.
NoriRoll
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by NoriRoll »

wooow, mad skills over there- so different yet beautiful
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Beautiful work guys ... that was a fun crawl ... I loved the Sendak Exhibit, very inspiring ... and other than freezing our asses off toward the end of the day it was a real good time. As always great to see all your wonderful sketches at the end of the day ... look forward to see some here ...

here's what I did for the day ...

Gonna post some photos when I get a chance ...

e
Cameron_C
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Cameron_C »

My SketchCrawl started with a bumpy bus ride on the 38 Geary. It was nice sunny day but deceivingly cold in the shade, my fingers have finally thawed. It's Always nice to meet up with new faces and familiar ones. Thank you everyone for sharing your sketchbooks, good stuff.

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”