Los Angeles, CA - USA

Saturday April 11th 2009
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by monking »

April 11th has been set as SketchCrawl 22.

A Metro transit crawl seemed popular last time. Gold line was mainly being discussed (SoPas, Chinatown...), but for passenger drawing, the subway usually offers the most variety. Maybe we could arrange a whistle-stop tour and gather crawlers along the way. Here's a possible schedule, though I don't know when each spot would be most peopled or interesting.

10:30 Union Station
12:00 Mission St. Station (SoPas)
14:00 Pershing Square / L.A. Public Library (Red Line via Union Station)
16:00 7th + Fig
17:30 Dinner at Won Kok in Chinatown (or some other place with good food and big tables).

Here's a diagram:

Code: Select all

|-----------------Red Line------------| |------------Gold Line--------------|
7th Street    Pershing Square    Union Station    Chinatown    Mission Street
                                 ____10:30____ >-------------> ____12:00_____
__16:00___ << _____14:00_____ <------------------------------< 
           >------------------------------------> __17:30__
This is far from optimal, but I'm getting excited about the idea. Of course, we're not even committing to a Metro crawl yet. Chime in with options. We have plenty of time!
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi monking, thanks for the Metro crawl suggestion! Seems like that was a popular suggestion last time, so I'm all for it - it'll give plenty of options for people to meet up and sketch variety of locations in one day. For those of us who live in the Westside away from the Metro lines, we can take a bus or carpool/drive to Union Station and park the car there ($6 for 24hours...not that we will spend that long sketchcrawling...), unless you know a free place to work close to the stations, let us know :wink:
quixx
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by quixx »

Hey all!

This sounds like a great idea. I've been peeking at Sketch Crawl for quite some time, but have yet to participate. I'm hoping this will finally be my first. :)
~Crystal
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Sounds like a lot of fun, I used to get a ton of sketches on the Caltrain & BART up north. This will (hopefully) be my first sketchcrawl with the LA crew, I've been in regular attendance in San Francisco and am always inspired as a result. Looking forward to meeting you all!

-Paul
GINKO
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by GINKO »

Riding Metro is a great idea. There are so many good stops for sketching opportunities. Way to Go!!! :thumbup:
Always on the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.
jmechner
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jmechner »

hey all, sounds great! Hoping to participate though I may have a couple of little kids in tow that day... will see!
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Are we settled on the metro then? Will people be meeting up before or after? At the last SF crawl we went with a post-crawl meet up, which was great for getting the crawl off to a fast start.
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

Maybe we should just wander the Red and Gold lines independently and meet for dinner. My only concern is that we'll all end up in different train cars all day and only hang out at the end. How about this: we have a suggested meeting time at Union Station, say 1:00, so anyone who has been lonely in the morning can glom onto another group. We wander until six or seven and meet at a restaurant in Chinatown for dinner.

That's a LONG day. Most people stick around for about four hours, right? Am I organizing this now? Alina, where are you?
erika1219
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by erika1219 »

Hey! This sounds great! I'm excited to participate in this being my first SketchCrawl! I'll keep checking back here for the final plan....maybe the L.A. organizer can send out a mass email w/ the final details?

Thanks guys!
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Monking, looks like you may be "it" by default ;)

That does sound like a long day, but that's the nature of it, I think. I know I always go home wanting to draw more afterwards. :-)

So the "schedule" is

Start whereever

1st meetup, 1pm, union station

End 6pm TBD (chinatown eatery?)

This would be a great rainy day crawl too :-)
oneita7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by oneita7 »

I am so excited about this! The train idea is really awesome. I am totally down for this. So excited i can barely stand it! I love to draw and i love doing quick sketches. This will be an extraordinary experience for sure!
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Being a n00b to the LA area, I did some digging. Looks like a day pass will be a good deal for this trip :-)

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/rider ... are-02.htm

An all day pass is just $5. (subject to zone fees, whatever that means)
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Also, if someone is the holder of the final itinerary, please confirm here - I'd like to put up some flyers at the studio ahead of time. :-)
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi Monking, Alina mentioned that she is taking a class that day and cannot attend, so I think you're the organizer this time around.
I can help you out by bringing some sketchcrawlers and help corral the crowd.

So is the final plan going to be:

1st meetup, 1pm, union station
ride the train/sketch
End 6pm TBD (chinatown eatery?)

Please confirm so I can spread the word.

Those of us who are on the Westside can plan to meet at Union Station at 1pm as mentioned since we don't have a metro where we live (yet) :(
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

that sounds good to me, looks like maybe monking had a place in mind at the top of the thread. in any case, let's just call it official if there are no objections. seems like a quiet group for the number of views.

Return to “22nd World Wide SketchCrawl”