Maine (Portland area), USA - [Results]

Saturday June 21st 2008
Jakepaint

Maine (Portland area), USA - [Results]

Post by Jakepaint »

So far we've got two people going out to sketch in the Portland vicinity.
Travis Kinney
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Maine (Portland area), USA

Post by Travis Kinney »

OK. I'm just figuring this out and had to create an account on Flicker so I could get the sketches uploaded.
There was just three of us sketching today and I think we're going to try it each month and maybe get a few more people to join us.
We were sketching down on Commercial Street, along the waterfront in Portland, Maine.

Here's a sketch of our first stop.

Unfortunately, there was a painter working on the building not even 8' behind us working from a large diesel engine scissor lift. It was load and annoying. It was his first time operating and I think he felt compelled to give the three of us "live" verbal updates of his progress. He gave up after awhile and put the machine away (12' away from us where it was when we arrived). Then he backed his van up to pick up his paint supplies and drove over some dog-mess. We switched locations.
Last edited by Travis Kinney on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Travis Kinney
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Travis Kinney »

Jerod' drew this half submerged shopping cart. When he started, it was under water. To his annoyance, by the time he finished it was all the way under. Kinda makes sketching difficult!
Travis Kinney
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Travis Kinney »

Our second stop was just down the road by the ferry terminal. Jerod and I sketched the hot dog lady (Jennifer). She was interested in possibly buying a print. Not sure if they came out well enough for that.
I started to sketch Jennifer, but I'm not so good at people. You'll see a couple study sketches below. I was thinking of drawing Jennifer later, then adding her to the hot dog cart sketch.
This was out first time doing the Sketchcrawl thing and a lady comes up to us asking us if were part of the Sketchcrawl! I couldn't believe it. She said she might try to join us next time and gave us her blog site http://www.everydaymatters.com

Here are some of my gesture studies.
I think I got a couple of useful sketches of Jennifer that will work. Although she may not agree!
That guy at the bottom of sketch was a great model because he was asleep and didn't so much as twitch. He must have sensed something though, because he did wake up and notice I was watching him and drawing. He got up and left.

I also drew this horrible sketch of a MAN with his daughter. In the sketch he looks like a fat old lady. He did have the start of a mullet hairdo, so oh-well.
Travis Kinney
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Travis Kinney »

Jake and Jerod
I think we NEED to go and join the Nora-Sweden group next month! Check out their results.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

You have some good sketches there. I especially like the one of the waterfront, the hot dog stands, and yes, I like that one of the guy and his daughter. I laughed visualizing the shopping cart disappearing underwater before the sketch was done. That's a typical (well, shopping carts are not typical) problem with outdoor sketching, the model never cooperates. :)
PaintMonster
Japan

Re: Maine (Portland area), USA - [Results]

Post by PaintMonster »

Travis Kinney
waaaaaao nice fine line arts!
so great,
very simply but clean and nice atmospher!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Jakepaint

Post by Jakepaint »

I was out with Travis & Jerod. It's funny how polar opposite our styles are. I didn't finish either of these drawings because, well, I didn't want to stay in one spot while the other 2 ran off. Sorry for the bad reproductions, I need to get a large scanner or something!!

http://www.jakepaint.com

mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

Nice linework and great shading, guys!
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Jakepaint
Nice tale!!
I like both sketches. and 2nd's Depth of field is great.
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

ChristinaA
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChristinaA »

Great sketches!
Travis - I really like the sketch of the man with his daughter. He looks like a compact built person, a strong one, not fat. I like the way he sits too.
You are most welcome to join us in Nora - Sweden the next SC, don't forget to bring warm gloves :lol:
Jake - wonderful sketches and shades!
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

oh really nice! i love the reflection of the boat in the first one. That's a really cool technique.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Travis - Commercial Street must have been a great place to sketch. I love it up there. Love the one of the hotdog cart!

Jake - It's fun to see 2 different versions. I love the second one. Good going.

Return to “19th World Wide SketchCrawl”