Phoenix - Arizona - [Results]

Saturday June 21st 2008
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix - Arizona - [Results]

Post by crgcas »

Starting off the morning with the next banner. :D Wish I had more time to work on it. I am glad we will be inside on the first day of summer, it will be 113 degrees here in Phoenix today!! I will see you all for the first leg of the crawl then I am off to the pool. For those joining late we will be at the Heard Museum downtown: http://www.heard.org/NETCOMMUNITY/Page. ... &srcid=204
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Phoenix - Arizona - [Results]

Post by granny c »

Very nice!
Wow! 113! We couldn't take it when it got to 96. Had to leave for a while. May go back later when it cools off a bit. Lots of people out and about, though, with a steak and wine festival going on downtown.
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Ok, on my way out - here are 2 photos, i'll rescan later when I am home. It was a BLAST again and met some great new folks. Mia came with 4 month old Kane - way cool.

I left my pen in my pack at the security desk and sadly reverted to a ballpoint and (despite the obvious unerasable mishaps) I don't think I'll use the pencil anymore! It was so much fun. We had a great turnout. The Heard is amazing and very inspiring. Can't wait to see everyone's sketches!! See you all at the next one!

PS: Yes, indeed it was HOT! After picking an indoor venue I actually sketched outside - crazy.

Last edited by crgcas on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Can't blame you for sketching indoors. 113 degrees - whew!!!! It hit 99 here in NJ last week, and I thought THAT was hot! The banner is super, and I like the two sketches. I'll try to remember to check back for more.
Waterblossoms
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Waterblossoms »

That banner is Awesome Craig...really awesome...! And ...Oooh what fun that must have been-Sorry I missed you guys...I had to "fly solo" today and but still managed a bit of a grid...plan to later tonight if I can figur it out...it was really was scorching here in Phoenix today...115 degrees at Sky Harbor at 4:00 PM...and we all know..."that's HOT!" -Paris Hilton LOL :)
Margaret :)
Last edited by Waterblossoms on Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waterblossoms
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Waterblossoms »

I surely hope this works...my sketch from today...Margaret:)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23944841@N ... n/pool-edm
Waterblossoms
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Waterblossoms »

Somebody out there...I need help...why isnt my photo showing? H-e-l-ppppp! Margaret
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

We had a great Sketchcrawl yesterday. There were seven of us at the Heard Museum, 8 if you include baby Kane. Here are a few of my sketches:

I sketched this in the courtyard of the Heard Museum as we were waiting for them to open and for our group to arrive.

The beaded cape pattern caught my eye and I spent a lot of time trying to get the geometric shapes in the correct proportions. As I examined it more closely, I realized that the weaver didn't have perfect proportions either so it was nice to be in good company! I also liked the star pattern baskets and tried to get down the pattern of my favorite one.

There was a fabulous exhibit featuring Navajo artist Tony Abeyta. This little creature was sketched from a large piece titled "Underwilderbeings". When she first caught my eye, I thought that she was a corn maiden because of the pattern on her torso. Once I started to sketch, I noticed the legs and tail and realized that she was a lizard! Maybe she is actually a corn maiden lizard? I suppose that only the original artist knows for sure. Either way, I really enjoyed seeing and sketching her.

Thanks to everyone who came for making this a great Sketchcrawl! I can hardly wait for the next one.

Nikol
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

Craig: Thank you for getting your post up so quickly! You are amazing. It's a bummer that a scanner isn't as good as the human eye. The posting of your first sketch just doesn't do it justice. In real life, the colors within the arch just pop and seem alive. I love the detailed work you do.

Waterblossoms: Did you press the Img button when you tried to post your picture? If you want to post something from flickr, you need to press the Img buttom and then paste the static URL between the beginning and ending image codes. If you send me a private message with your phone number, I can walk you through it over the phone. Since you live in the Phoenix area, we could even get together for a mini sketchcrawl and I could show you how to do it in person. I went to the URL you posted and loved your picture! The way that you layered it really gives the impression of a full and fun day of sketching.

Nikol
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

crgcas
Nice Banner!!!
I like 1st one!! it delightful and simply beautiful!
and Thank you for put on fotos!!
seems like good museum!!

nikol
waao these are nice report style.
I like 3rd one!! awesome!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Nikol: Thanks! Yes, I blame all of the poor quality of my sketch on the scanner ;). I posted a huge version on my site that helps a bit. Your drawings are great - thanks for posting soon also and bringing more crawlers. Wish I could have been there longer but had a blast!.

PaintMonster: As always, than you! Just peek at your photos and sketches also - look like you all had fun also. I love your sketches!

Waterblossoms: Here's your flickr one embedded until you get the wires sorted - I love this one - the thermometer says it all!! :)

Waterblossoms
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Waterblossoms »

Craig...you are totally awesome...thanks for the techno help. WooHoo! :)

Nikol, thanks too for the techno info...soon I will see the light! ;)

Margaret
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

Can't wait to see how that banner story will end one day... looks like a nice place on the photos. Thanks for sharing your work.
nikol
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nikol »

Sylvia sent me the picture of the group that was taken by our waitress in the museum cafe. Here it is...

Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Crgcas - Love the banner!!!! Great sketches, especially the balcony! You must have been melting.

Nikol - Super sketches. I love the "corn maiden lizard."

Waterblossoms - Is that color sketch yours? Beautiful! The colors say HOT, HOT, HOT and so does the thermometer!!

Return to “19th World Wide SketchCrawl”