New York City - USA [RESULTS]

Saturday January 19th 2008
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

New York City - USA [RESULTS]

Post by sumacm »

It was a cold day in NY! This was my first Sketchcrawl -- I did wait around by the kiosk at the Met lobby until well after 11 am but didn't see anyone else, so I proceeded to sketch by myself. I started out in pencil, with a drawing of St. John on Patmos:
Then I went on to the Arms & Armor Court, using a Pentel brush pen:

And finally to the Astor Court, this time with the Pitt sepia pen:
By that time I was getting pretty hungry so I called my husband, who was spending the day biking around the NYC bike path, and we had lunch in the cafe & then called it a day! I added color to all the drawings with watercolor & waterbrush.
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

thank you for sharing, sumacm!

Nice to see all the explanations on your materials, techniques and the story going along -- hopefully, there will be some more in NYC, when the weather is more "comfi" then these days.

See you soon again

T.
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by eduardo »

Cool! Especially in that second one, I like how you can just let "loose" with the brush pen. I am just not a fan of rigid ones like Micron. You also made it look like metal with just the primary colors and white. Nice. I outta try a sepia pen sometime, hmmm. Thanks for sharing.
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

Nice work Sumacm! I especially like the plumes on the armor!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

The brush pen worked wonderfully with the knight. I like it a lot.
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Results

Post by slavidzee »

Hey, everybody, for you NY people, sorry I missed you guys, I was running bout an hr late, due to my completely oversleeping.

Anyway, I made my way solo through some of the Met, and made some miscellaneous sketches elsewhere.

The brushwork was done using Higgins BROWN india Ink. My first time experimenting with it, and I thought it worked ok with the warm light in the museum. The water color washes were done with a combo of brush pen and sable hair brushes. A regular micron pen was used for the more linear drawings. I sort of got in trouble with one of the security guards after I admitted to her that I had dribbled a little ink onto the floor. She kicked me out of the American wing! I sure hope she's bad at remembering faces!

Egyptian Wing

American Wing

At the fashion gallery

Contemporary galleries

Quick sketch before dinner at Tokyo La Men, south of Union Sq.

B&N 66th St. waiting to go to a chamber concert.

--Then I went to a beautiful venue -the Peter Jay Sharpe Theater at the Juliard School, where I watched passionate performers playing beautiful music -but was so caught up in the music that I didn't think to break out my sketchpad until midway through the last movment -by then, it was too late.

Sketch on the train ride home, after being blown away by a friend's studio life drawings.

Image[/img][/url]
Last edited by slavidzee on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

Great sketches! You're prolific. Even with a quick sketch, you capture the essential forms. Nice gesture drawing. I like switching from brush to pen. You're very accomplished at both!
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

sumacm, I'm sorry I missed you. It would have been great to see you in action working in essentially the same medium that I chose! I also really like the knight. He looks shiny and vibrant.
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

Great sketches, slavidzee! Love what you did with the Temple of Dendur & the people milling about there -- I had the same thought as you (that they shifted position at exactly the wrong moment) and didn't end up attempting it. Hopefully we can meet up at the next Sketchcrawl.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Too bad you weren't able to connect at the Met, but both of you did a great job on these.

Sumac - I love these at the Met. The color you added really brings them alive, but you have such nice lines in all of them.

Slavidzee- Great group. You did some of everything. Nice job on the people and the building. You saved the best for almost last. Wonderful sketch of the musicians, even if you didn't get all of it. It's just super!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

niiiice work everybody!!! Love those chairs ... :)

e
killmax
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by killmax »

Very nice brushstyle! :D
jehucampos
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jehucampos »

awesome! slavidzee, I really like the drawing of the woman reading (when your foot fell asleep). great use of hatching!
I was here, if only for an instance.

Sketches and Stories
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

@ slavidzee: your linework is great!
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

Thanks for the encouragement you guys! I definitely had a lot of fun with these sketches. I'm even more amazed to see the stuff people are uploading this weekend. Truly inspiring.

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”