Who or what makes you want to draw

Moderator: Gerald

Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Sketchcrawling In WWI?

Post by Donal »

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/arti ... gence.html

This is great. I've got to get this book. The link takes you to a story of a Brittish WWI soldier who's job it was to sneak behind enemy lines to draw intelligence information, like German bunkers with soldier positions. Bases, etc.

Sketchcrawling in WWI, wow!
RGperedo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Sketchcrawling In WWI?

Post by RGperedo »

Wow, that's incredible. I know Sargent did watercolours for the british army during WWI. I'll look for a link. Very interesting read, thank you.
mulholl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mulholl »

What an incredible story...Placing a British soldier inside a steel tree close to German line so that he could observe their activity and report back is amazing enough. The fact that the tree was built with great detail based on a drawing by soldier Len Smith of an actual tree, and the real tree was taken down at night and replaced by the steel tree in no man's without the Germans catching on is unbelievable!
Billybudwin
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Billybudwin »

From the article, "He spent four days avoiding mortar shells while drawing...". I have a hard enough time concentrating on my drawing when it's quiet and this guy was drawing precise illustrations under those conditions. Amazing!

Return to “Inspirations”