U.S. war artist..

Who or what makes you want to draw

Moderator: Gerald

enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

U.S. war artist..

Post by enrico »

this is a nice bit on a U.S. Marine artist, doing sketches and water colors over in Iraq and Afghanistan ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6508423.stm
raison
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Traumatic Sketching

Post by raison »

Thanks to your post Enrico, i've visited his blog. His blog seems to be blank at the moment.

I've always been interested in visual journalists and was surprised the US Military would afford such an official position in their ranks in this current conflict. And so, I've done some research. I've posted the job description below. Maybe this info can help someone who has the necessary talent, meets the requirements, and is faced with the pressing issue of being called into duty to find a way to continue work as an artist in a military setting.

United States Marine Corps (USMC)

Officer Job Descriptions

MOS 9950, Combat Artist (Officer)

a. Summary. Combat artist officers create training and/or combat art; supervise and coordinate the production, collection, exhibition, and reproduction of combat art; and advise the commander and staff on combat art matters.

b. Requirements/Prerequisites

(1) Must submit a portfolio of previous work and brief resume to the CMC (HD).

(2) Must be interviewed by the CMC (HD).

(3) Complete a combat art assignment as directed by the CMC (HD).

c. Duties

(1) Creates works of art in one or more visual arts media, or supervises personnel involved in the creation of such art.

(2) Prepares exhibitions and coordinates reproduction of visual arts for public presentation.

(3) Supervises or coordinates the assembly and maintenance of a combat art collection, including identification, records, preparation, and storage.

(4) Supervises the training of combat artists.

d. Related DOT Classification/DOT Code

(1) Illustrator 141.061-022.

(2) Art Director 141.031-010.

Information Derived From MCO P1200.7V Part 1. Current as of Nov 00

Another article on Michael Fay from the Wall Street Journal:
http://www.careerjournal.com/myc/succes ... llips.html

Here's some of his work.
We are living in a time when civilization has become highly expert in the art of destroying human beings and increasingly weak in its power to bring meaning to their lives. --Ben Shahn
great
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by great »

This sketches are great. I think they should find a good location and expose them. People must see them. If you have more of this please shear them with us. Thanks.

Return to “Inspirations”