Saturday April 21st, 2018

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Seoul, Korea [Results]

Post by bh yoo »

pen, pencil, watercolor, 25 x 25 cm

The weather was really fantastic. The temple was decorated with colorful lotus lamps all around it. We enjoyed the beautiful scene hearing the Buddhist service while sketching. We had lunch served at the temple dining room. Two Chinese sketchers who were staying for study in Korea liked Korean temple food too. In the afternoon a family came for visiting the temple showed interest in art so much. I talked them about our activity and asked them to join next month. Different from the downtown temple like Jogyesa the temple was very quiet so we could spend a nice day drawing those great scenes.

Participants : Lee Yong Hwan, Han Jeong Seon, Baik Kyung Won, Choi Jeong Eun, Jung Cho Hye, Byun Seok Hyeon, Shi Zhi Fang, Ying Meng, Lee Mi Young, Yoo Byung Hwa

Thank you all!
Thank you all the participants!
Last edited by bh yoo on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KPinAK
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Seoul, Korea [Results]

Post by KPinAK »

BEAUTIFUL sketches!! And photos of the locations & all of you. What a great description of your day! In Alaska, we are 17 hours behind you, so we start sketching in about 4 hours. This is my first involvement in the USK community & my first time organizing a meet up. 4 people say they plan to meet me. Your post is a great inspiration!
KPinAK
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by KPinAK »

BEAUTIFUL sketches!! And photos of the locations & all of you. What a great description of your day! In Alaska, we are 17 hours behind you, so we start sketching in about 4 hours. This is my first involvement in the USK community & my first time organizing a meet up. 4 people say they plan to meet me. Your post is a great inspiration!
katja
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
Germany

Post by katja »

Beautiful and colorful sketches, well done! :clap:
Chokie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Chokie »

First time for joining SketchCrawl.
It was great day for sketching scenery. The sky was clear, condition of the air was terrific. I had been in Seoul most of my lifetime so I thought I've known Seoul well but every time I participate in USK Seoul, I'm always impressed by the site.
When I encountered Okcheonam, those colorful lights and friendly houses and alley was really nice.
If I had chance to know Okcheonam before I showed around my foreign friend who visited Korea 1 month ago, I could've taken him to there. Maybe next time. :-)
archiartist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by archiartist »

panoramic view of Okcheonam Temple, pencil and watercolor, (29.6 x 42cm)

looking up the temple complex inside the gate, pencil and watercolor, (29.6 x 42cm)

Rock-carved Seated Bodhisattva in Bodogak Hall, pen and watercolor, (29.6 x 42cm)

approaching the One Pillar Gate of Okcheonam Temple, pen and watercolor, (29.6 x 42cm )

a colorful scene of the neighboring village, pen and watercolor, (29.6 x 42cm )

distant view of the temple under the overpass, pen, (29.6 x 42cm)

It was a little windy but pleasantly sunny and warm last Saturday. For the 59th World Wide SketchCrawl, USK Seoul members met at Okcheonam Hermitage, a small and peacefull temple in Hongeun-dong, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul. Okcheonam Temple located at the foot of Samgaksan Mountain, and beneath the precinct Hongjecheon stream that flows throughout the year. The Temple dates back to the 14th century during the Goryeo dynasty. Lots of colorful Lotus Lanterns are beautifully embroidered on the temple and the street around the surrounding residential village. It was to celebrate the Buddha's Birthday on May 22. The temple buildings are built on narrow and steep bedrock linearly, and the natural combination of different architectures seems very interesting and beautiful features harmonized with the natural landscape. Especially the Rock-carved Seated Bodhisattva of Okcheonam Hermitage (Designation: Treasure No.1820) is famous for a large Buddhist image over five meters tall. The granite carving is concave and painted in a lovely seashell white, and so called "The White Buddah". Though the site of the temple is long narrow and rather small but the the precincts was crowded with Buddhists and visitors for lanterns ceremony to celebrate Buddha's Birthday.
On entering the temple, I was fascinated with the panoramic scenes of the temple and the neighboring village, including access bridge over the stream and curved overpass, apartment buildings, etc. I enjoyed sketching several colorful scenes around the small and peaceful temple at the foot of the mountain nearby downtown Seoul.
Archiartist Lee Blog : http://archiartistlee.blogspot.com/
Seoul Urban Sketchers Blog : http://urbansketchers-seoul.blogspot.com/
Urban Sketchers Blog : http://www.urbansketchers.org/
Chokie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Chokie »

Chokie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Chokie »

We had the meeting of Sketch Crawl in Okcheonam.
It is a smart temple on the roadside .
I thought the temple would be crowded, because the Buddha's day is approaching, but the temple was quiet and comfortable as if l were in the mountain. The colorful lotus lamps were in harmony with the spring flowers and trees. The weather was best for drawing .
It's been a long time ,i had a hard time to sketch , but my mind was easy..

Original post is from Hanjeongsun https://urbansketchers-seoul.blogspot.k ... eonam.html
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

Sketches by Shi Zhi Fang from China

Sketches by Ying Meng from China

KPinAK
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by KPinAK »

Wow! More beautiful drawings & paintings! I’m going to South Korea in May 2019. Seeing your artwork gets me very excited about visiting!!
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi BH and Friends!
Sorry for my late posting! :( I was not healthy. Seeing your art helps me feel better :D .

But I posted Tallahassee Florida page images last night.

It is so good to see your artwork! I am inspired to start something new-- and colorful!
Mark Fletcher USA
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

Sorry to hear that you're not in good condition, Mark. Thank you always for your kind visiting us. Hope you to get well soon. :clap: :)

We're so glad to hear that you will visit Korea next year, KPinAK!
Please send mail to seoulurbansketchers@gmail.com to let us know your arrival. :)
Hope to sketch together on May, 2019, :)
jecschoi
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jecschoi »

This is Okcheonam in Seoul
It was a small temple and very quiet.
We had a great time drawing.
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

This drawing was done by Doneque B (Byun Seok Hyeon).

:clap:
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi BH Yoo!
Thank you. I am much in better condition now. I really think art helps healing.

Glad you and KPinAK (from Anchorage) are connected. She is an enthusiastic sketch artist, new to WWSC posting.
I remember how you helped me with my technology questions from my first day! Thanks!
Mark
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher

Return to “59th World Wide SketchCrawl - Apr 21 2018”