New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS]

Saturday January 28th, 2017

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thetaranakisketchers »

Whilst it is still yesterday for most regions, we are here in tomorrow - and we can tell you the weather is beautifully fine. We drove around the other side of our symmetric, dormant volcano - Mt Egmont/Taranaki to the Stratford Air Show. They were celebrating their 85th Anniversary. We parked with many others in a cow paddock (which reminds me we must hose down our tyres!)

Amongst acrobatic planes, the usual cessnas, there was a Mustang. At lunch time a Spitfire buzzed us a number of times and finally landed to the applause of the crowd.

The Mustang

A Vans RV4 Aerobatic kitset plane from the US
jackie.flynn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS]

Post by jackie.flynn »

The open day went most of the day, so we were a bit staggered in getting there, (hence no group photos), but I'm sure we all enjoyed the challenge of sketching aircraft. There were plenty of big planes and a good display of model aircraft as well. I sketched one of each.

Here is my first sketch of a real plane:

Sonerai SS.

As Scott said the Mountain was stunning today:

I managed to get this image of the spitfire arriving:

Jacquie.
A member of The Taranaki Sketchers and the Urban Sketchers Flickr Group.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquieFlynn1995
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Contribution from Maurice

The classic Spitfire and its close US cousin the Mustang at the air show . Well done to the Stratford Aero Club for a most enjoyable day.
trevoredavies
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by trevoredavies »

Maurice I liked your two planes sorry to have missed you but I left early,hope the weather is good this Saturday.Trevor. :thumbup:
gnyp
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gnyp »

I was at the Stratford Aero Club's Open Day in central Taranaki on the weekend. Just after we got there, a Spitfire arrived from just off the horizon. The pilot did some close fly-bys and tilted the wings for the cameras. I've heard fighter planes before and this one didn't have a usual deep rumble that a grunty aircraft engine would make. It sounded like there was still a lot of power there but not as loud as I expected. I've read about the Spitfires and they were quite renowned for their performance in the skies. It seemed very classy (and stealthy?) to be 'that kind of fighter plane' and yet have this nice purring engine. These are great planes!
After it landed, and parked on the airfield I started to sketch. I overheard someone say to another enthusiast that this particular Spitfire was a seven-eighth size replica with a V8 engine.
Oh.
I just kept drawing...
My website: briangnyp.com!
jackie.flynn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jackie.flynn »

Good to see everyone's sketches! I had seen some but not others. As I said earlier there was a good display of very realistic model aircraft. They weren't being flown on the day as the modellers weren't allowed to share air space with the big planes. I thought that was a bit of a shame as they were meticulously made and would have made quite a sight.

Here is my second sketch for the day:

Stinson Reliant.

Jacquie.
A member of The Taranaki Sketchers and the Urban Sketchers Flickr Group.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquieFlynn1995
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Trevor has sent his pics in:

Return to “54th World Wide SketchCrawl”