Los Angeles group is going to:
Hsi Lai Temple
3456 Glenmark Drive
Hacienda Heights, CA
This is a special Worldwide Sketchcrawl to mark the first day of Chinese New Year. Artists who are part of Urban Sketchers group (urbansketchers.org) are sketching together with the same theme: Chinese New Year, Lunar New Year, or Year of the Rooster, and sharing the sketch from the day on Facebook or Flickr group pages or Instagram at #usk#urbansketch #urbansketchers. (If you will be busy celebrating the holiday with friends and family, any sketch reflecting your special traditions would be a lovely way to share art about the beginning of a New Year!)
There will be a new year's blessing ceremony with Chinese cultural performance that includes lion dancing at 12:00pm at the courtyard. Information about the event: http://www.hsilai.org/en/events/NY.php The temple and outdoor areas have Chinese architectural elements, and a large crowd is expected to attend the ceremony, so this is a good place for sketching buildings and people.
10:30am: meet by the Buddha head statue to the left by the entrance gate. Explore the grounds and gardens.
12pm: watch/sketch the performance at the courtyard
1:30pm-ish: meet at dining hall for lunch, which offers vegetarian buffet for under $10
This is a working Buddhist temple, and while the events are open to public, be aware of the following guidelines:
- Smoking is prohibited throughout the temple grounds.
- Photos and video recording can only be taken outdoors.
- Please DO NOT bring meat of any kind or alcohol onto the temple premises.
- Please show respect to the Temple and dress appropriately: no sleeveless shirts/ blouses, tank tops, shorts or short skirts.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended for climbing stairs and slopes.
Information about the temple:
Saturday January 28th, 2017
2 posts • Page 1 of 1