Manchester, CA FINAL RESULTS

Saturday July 30th, 2016

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Manchester, CA FINAL RESULTS

Post by gaelwriter »

I wasn't able to gather up any other sketchers to join me along my stretch of the northern California coast, so with your indulgence, I'd like to post just the two sketches I did on my own.

The first has a little back story to it. A nearby apple orchard, a bit further inland where the weather is more hospitable to agriculture, was culling some of their older, less productive apple trees. The rejects were lined up along a fence outside the orchard, for anyone who wanted to take one. One old beauty, a Pink Pearl variety, attracted me. It might not promise a bountiful harvest, old as it was, and considering the more severe winds and salt water atmosphere at my location, but I decided I'd give it a try. For the first eight or ten years after planting it at my house, there was hardly an apple on it. In tree years maybe it was a bit like me, an octogenarian, just hanging in there for the final years. This year too, after showing some early promise, the leaves became withered and wind-burnt. And then, hallelujah, it started producing almost a dozen apples on its withered frame. I take this as a very good omen, and resolve to build my spirited tree a wind shield before next season!

Well, I couldn't just post one sketch on this outing, so here is another, showing a long line of the tall, handsome cyprus trees that were planted by the early ranchers in this area to help shield their cattle and sheep from the exhausting drafts of wind that constantly scour our headlands. When the wind is not blowing the fog is rolling across the fields. I love it.

kjulin
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler
United States of America

Re: Manchester, CA FINAL RESULTS

Post by kjulin »

I also sketched alone and posted. So worth it to share in this bigger world- wide event. Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Thanks for the back-story, Gael.
A great story with an encouraging lesson. :)

I hope you had a peaceful quiet time sketching solo, :shh:
like M9fred from Vienna.
Mark
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

I read your story about apple tree carefully. So your tree drawing comes very meaningful than usual tree.
I want to see the fog's rolling too. Love your drawings with atmosphere on the spot each. :thumbup: :clap: :)

Return to “52nd World Wide SketchCrawl”