New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS]

Saturday April 23rd, 2016

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thetaranakisketchers »

A pleasant autumn day, we are happy to be the first to get the light, and be able to post. We chose a Maori & Colonial theme but as always wereflexible.

These Maori artifacts include:

Hei Tiki - Hei meaning to suspend and tiki human form, often made from old adze heads to tended to be tomahawk shaped. Pounamu (green stone) was prized as it was traded up from the West Coast of the South Island.

Wahaika Patu: a hand to hand fighting weapon - using stabbing motions especially up under the jaw. If you look carefully the little inscribed figure is holding his own patu. (I wonder if on that patu, there is a little inscribed figure holding his own patu.....)

Putorino: flute made from two pieces of carved matai (black pine) and lashed together

Short gun: of 1880s vintage.

Paepae - thought to have come from the front bench of a meeting house - of our local Maori carving style, the pointy heads and pungawerewere (spider web) decoration.

Carved Maori canoe prowheads

Last edited by thetaranakisketchers on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
chrism
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS]

Post by chrism »

Beautiful, and informative - I love the design of these objects! I feel you've captured the rhythm and flow of those prowheads especially well.
Aquarellia
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler
France

Post by Aquarellia »

Lovely, a nice link between sketch and local culture.
Thanks to share this
Michel
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Thanks Chris, Patricia did the prow-heads, she is our experienced sketcher being well into her 90s.
Merci beacoup Aquarellia - it can be interesting learning from each other's cultures.

These are taiaha's, hand to hand fighting weapons, not spears to be thrown. Normally feathers are tied just behind the head to distract the eye. The tip is an extruding tongue. The plain one is for young boys to practice with.

jackie.flynn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jackie.flynn »

Yesterday was the 51st Worldwide Sketchcrawl Day. Seeing the world one drawing at a time.
Our theme for the day was Maori and Colonial. We met at Puke Ariki and sketched in and around about there.

My first sketch was of a Wahaika:

I then went onto this shotgun:

And finally I took up the challenge of Richmond Cottage. I have tried this before with varying degrees of success. I think this one is my best one yet.

Richmond Cottage. Near Puke Ariki.

The cottage was built in 1853-1854 for use as a family home by Christopher William and Emily Elizabeth (nee Atkinson) Richmond.

The building was originally on the seaward side of St Aubyn Street. It was constructed by Nathaniel Hooker using volcanic stone quaried from the adjacent beach.

In 1962 it was demolished and re-erected stone by stone on it's present site to save it from demolition due to development of the Richmond Estate Apartments.
Jacquie.
A member of The Taranaki Sketchers and the Urban Sketchers Flickr Group.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquieFlynn1995
kjulin
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler
United States of America

Post by kjulin »

What a variety of items sketches - so impressive with the detail. A neat theme too for the sketchcrawl and full of culture. Enjoyed seeing this!
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Thank you kjulin, trust you had a good day out bike sketching. We did that once too.

Forty years ago these Motonui Epa (back panels of a storehouse) found in a swamp were spirited out of the country to a Bolivian collector for USD65.000. The government bought them back for 4.5 million this year, and they were returned to Taranaki. Distinctively our style with serpentine bodies, the pointed heads and pu-werewere (spider web) decoration.

A challenge to draw as the display was slowly rotating,[/img]

Forty years ago these Motonui Epa (back panels of a storehouse) found in a swamp (near Motonui, just north of us) were spirited out of the country to a Bolivian collector for USD65.000. The government bought them back for 4.5 million this year, and they were returned to Taranaki. Distinctively our style with serpentine bodies, again, the pointed heads and pu-werewere (spider web) decoration.

A challenge was to draw as the display was slowly rotating,
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Trevor's contribution

Team including Trevor

Jackie

thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler