Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Seoul, Korea [Results]

Post by bh yoo »

traditional crafts shop, 31 x 23 cm

traditional wedding ceremony of Lee Hwa and Christopher Cabrera

Taegwondo demonstration at main plaza

lunch time

It was very foggy in the early morning. But it got clearer and shiny even hot after noon. Namsangol Hanok Village was very busy with tourists and citizens. It was more crowded for it was a Saturday. Eight sketchers joined : Lee Yong-hwan, Yun Young-sook, Ku Bon-ok, Mona Kwon, Yoo Byung-hwa and new comers, Shin Jeong-sheop, Jo Seong-eun, Lee Chung-geun. Though we know well about our traditional houses it's not easy at all to draw them exactly. Most of us live in apartments or modern houses. We recall past times drawing them in the village where valuable houses in land were moved from the original sites. Hanok can be transferred as it is by its dividable materials, wood and roof tiles.
I could meet a traditional wedding ceremony. But it was too late to draw all the process of the wedding. The couple seemed to be from China for the guests used Chinese language. Foreign couple like to hold a wedding in Korean traditional way.
In the afternoon 3 pm there was a Taegwondo demonstration in main plaza. Lots of people gathered and enjoyed applauding so much. But drawing their action was another matter for sketchers. How hard to capture the instant pose of smashing pine boards would be! At four o'clock we shared all the works at the plaza.
Thank you all!
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Seoul, Korea [Results]

Post by bh yoo »

sketches by Shin Jeong-sheop :

********************************************************************************************

sketches by Lee Chung-geun :

*********************************************************************************************
sketch by Jo Seong-eun :

markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

SUPER SEOUL! :thumbup:
We are very glad to see your art again, BH Yoo!
We just finished about 2 hours ago, so I'm still waiting for most of ours to come in....only 3 so far. I did more sketches but haven't photographed or uploaded them yet. We are feeling a little tired, but content.
Mark
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Nice job everyone! How great that you were able to sketch such a variety of subjects. Thank you for sharing your work.
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Wonderful sketches by the Seoul crew! Yes, capturing martial arts contestants in a sketch will require a difficult strategy and a nimble sketcher! The traditional wedding ceremony made a great sketching opportunity. Nice work.
iysyun29
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by iysyun29 »

msmo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by msmo »

Ah thanks Ms Yoo, for posting these! I didn't see all of these at the 4pm meet. I enjoyed myself very much on Saturday. Here are two of mine:

~mona
travelsketcher
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by travelsketcher »

Wonderfuld sketches and watercolours. Thanks a lot

49th SketchCrawl: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13131
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi BH Yoo,
Very interesting traditional wedding ceremony of Lee Hwa and Christopher Cabrera? Is Cabrera a Spanish name?

For some reason, especially the rooftop drawings touch my heart! :D

Mark Fletcher
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

Thanks a lot for all the visitors and encouraging comments from Mark Fletcher, Joan T, Gaelwriter, and Travelsketcher! :thumbup: :lol: :clap:

And I called the office in village to ask about the nationality of the newly wed couple this morning, Mark. 8)
The bride was a Korean and the bridegroom was American. The office staff added one more that he might be Spanish seeing his father's name.
Sorry for causing confusion. I should have confirmed their nationality. I must have thought the tourists from China as wedding ceremony guests. Chinese name and Korean look similar often in Chinese characters.
Thank you again for your interest visiting twice! :thumbup: :clap: :lol:
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi BH!
I usually look at Seoul more than twice! It is not possible to appreciate your art in one look, so we come back to Seoul page after a day and again later.

I was simply curious about the wedding couple. Sorry if it's rude to ask? :oops: We have never seen a traditional Korean wedding before and the couple seems not exactly traditional! :)

Mark
PS I posted some late sketches and photos just now, even as your message came in! Thanks for looking :wave:
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

ha ha! Never rude! Mark! I've so much love in sketchcrawl pages because we meet lots of fresh and hot sketches done by on a same day. I feel like we're a big family sketching together on this globe. Wow... It's a very valuable site for all the sketch lovers.

Usually I try to get enough informations about the sketching spot and people drawn on my papers to that extent the related persons doubt my intention asking 'why do you want to know that?' On that day I had not enough time to ask some needed conatents because I arrived at the ceremony too late. I just began to capture the photo time scenes. While washing my drawing they left! And reading your wondering point I called the office yesterday, but it was an off day. So I felt that I should collect necessary informations for the visitors in order to introduce the background of the events in detail.

As you said I visit most of all the results pages as often as I can. Most of the sketchers would do.

Thank you always for your kind comments, Mark! I'll run to see more. :clap: :crazy: :thumbup: :lol:
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Sophie Valenti »

Love the variety of your results and the area ! Thank you for sharing ! :thumbup: :clap: 8)
archiartist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by archiartist »

Main Entrance of Namsangol Hanok Village

Yun Family's House in Ogin-dong

Yun Taekyeong's Jaesil in Jegi-dong

Min Family's House Sarangchae in Gwanhun-dong

Taekwondo performance in front of Cheonugak Pavilion

a demonstration of smashing pine boards during the jump

Straw Craft Demonstration Show

( pen and watercolor, 21 x 29.6cm sketchbook )

Last weekend, I joined with World Wide SketchCrawl party on Namsangol Hanok Village at the northern foot of Namsan Mountain in downtown Seoul. This peaceful village is a wonderful spot to encounter traditional Korean culture for Koreans and foreign visitors. The Hanok Village contains many architectural styles of traditional buildings representing different regions and lifestyles across the nation, including thatch-roofed farmer's houses, a mansion for the noble class, a provincial government office and so on. Lots of cultural programs and traditional events including Korean martial art Taekwondo performance were held in and outdoors with crowded citizens and tourists.
I sketched several works here and there in the beautiful village enjoying the autumn festival for two days.
Archiartist Lee Blog : http://archiartistlee.blogspot.com/
Seoul Urban Sketchers Blog : http://urbansketchers-seoul.blogspot.com/
Urban Sketchers Blog : http://www.urbansketchers.org/
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Post by m9fred »

Wow, I'm really impressed by your lively and colorful sketches!
Very interesting area and activities from wedding ceremony to Teakwondo demonstration.
Congratulations to your team. :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Return to “49th World Wide SketchCrawl”