New York City [RESULTS]

Saturday October 18th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

New York City [RESULTS]

Post by Joan T »

For the 45th World Wide SketchCrawl the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the High Line in Manhattan. The High Line is a public park built on a historic elevated freight line above the streets on Manhattan's West Side. The newest section recently opened with vistas overlooking train yards and buildings on the NYC side and views to New Jersey across the Hudson River.

This is the view overlooking the train yard.

Sketchers sat on the bleachers or stood overlooking the views.

First I did a sketch of the train yard.

Then I turned and faced the Hudson River and New Jersey. A helicopter was landing at the landing pad along the river.

There was a group sitting up on the bleachers just enjoying the views. So I sketched them next.

After a nice lunch break we returned for an afternoon of sketching. I sketched Denise who was sketching a section where the rail lines show through the foliage and the path.

Then it was time for sharing our work. We met at a local "dive" bar which was a lot of fun, with a great bartender and super music on the jukebox. Each of the sketchers that remained until the end of the day shared their work.

Mark

Robert

Svetlana

Susan

Pat

Parker

Mary

Janet

Mary

Michael

Laura

Denise

Allison

Hopefully some of our sketchers will add their sketches here or send them to me so that I can post them.
kjulin
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler
United States of America

Re: New York City [RESULTS]

Post by kjulin »

I enjoyed walking along the High Line when I last visited New York City. It is neat to see the sketches that you all did along it. Wonderful!
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Thanks for checking out our posts, Joan! :D
We have only one new drawing so far today: Dede's Tree that seemed to grow organically on the page as she drew it.
But I expect many more today since Jennifer photographed most of the sketches and will give me a flash drive today or tomorrow.

I hope you get more close ups of your group's many sketches. I enjoyed yours so far. Perfect opportunity for perspective drawing! We have a similar park that is an 18 mile stretch of converted freight railway, now a bike path from our town to the coast. Never knew about your High Line. Also I have a friend in Frankfurt who will be interested, too. He runs the railway museum there.
I'll check back! :wave:
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Thanks for checking our postings Kjulin and Mark.

Mark, as each city tries to keep these historical areas we get some really nice places to explore.

Patricia Gaignat's sketches are next. She uses her iPad for sketching, or a combination of regular sketching that she imports into one of her sketching programs on her iPad. She did quite a few and even sketched a few of our sketchers at lunch.

isabellebalma
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by isabellebalma »

Hello Joan !
Félicitations à toute l'équipe de sketchcrawlers. Always nice drawings to see.
Bonjour de Toulouse :wave:
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Hi Joan,

Looks like you had a great crawl - well attended and a great place for sketching. I have read about the High Line but never seen it except in pictures.

Great pictures. (How cool to capture a helicopter as it was landing!) I'll be checking back hoping the rest of the group posts theirs also.

Debora
(Atlanta)
Susan T
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Susan T »

Here are my sketches for the day. The first one is overlooking the rail yards with a view of the Empire State building in the background. The second one is a view of the Hudson river with New Jersey in the background. This portion has some of the old railway tracks and weeds left in the landscape as nature planted. The cube is a cement sculpture made to look old and decaying. The last sketch is of part of the professionally landscaped section around the old rail tracks. Great day with our NYC Urban Sketchers.
High Line at the Rail Yards by softfurn Susan, on Flickr

High Line at the Rail Yards 2 by softfurn Susan, on Flickr

High Line at the Rail Yards 3 by softfurn Susan, on Flickr
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Sophie Valenti »

A wonderful team and lovely results !
DaCosta
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by DaCosta »

:thumbup: Congratulations beautiful sketches!
sketchersteve
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by sketchersteve »

What a great way to see New York, from an interesting place
with good friends, and nice sketches!
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Thanks for checking out our posts, Susan! Always good to see your artworks as well! :thumbup:
Thanks very much for posting your close-ups of your drawings. The people pictures are fine but we are happy to see the drawings as well! :D
Mark
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Isabelle, Deborah, Sophie, DaCosta, and Sketchersteve, thanks for coming over to view our sketches!

Mark - I've been playing around all morning trying to figure out how to get my photos to show up larger on the screen. I get such tiny ones when I upload. I guess I have to go visit Susan and let her show me how she gets hers to load larger. I think next time I'll have to take photos of the sketches some of the members do when we finish (or during the day) instead of hoping they send them to me. That doesn't seem to work. lol
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Joan, I am not computer savvy & I only know my experience, but:
You can resize the photos using software that probably came with your computer like Camedia, Paint, etc, OR software that came with your camera like Olympus Master 2. [ I do this before uploading sketchcrawl images to my blog (or flicker, etc)--the upload required before to transfer to Sketchcrawl.]
The software will generally give you a bunch of options to crop, color correct, etc but also RESIZE. I type in "480" pixels for the smallest dimension and it calculates proportionately the other dimension automatically.

This size is what I'd call medium, because too large takes too long for me to upload or (for folks with an old computer like mine) to open posts on sketchcrawl.

[An alternative might be to change the image size on your intermediary (blog or flicker, etc); I think you can choose small, med or large on blogspot.]

Originally I had the same challenge as you; B H Yoo, sketchcrawl artist from Seoul, South Korea, coached me thru it using email or skecthcrawl's Private message. I'm going camping soon, out of range of email/cell phone. Maybe try B H or have Susan help you in person if the above doesn't work and I can't receive your message. :think:
Mark
PS I'll be more able to help when I return...but the (usually free) software that came with your equipment is pretty user friendly in most cases...
Ale_
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
Location: Las Palmas / Gran Canaria. CANARY ISLANDS. España-Spain

Post by Ale_ »

Great group . Nice and varied results ! varied flavours !
Congratulations !
parkergambino
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by parkergambino »

Return to “45th World Wide SketchCrawl”