Atlanta (Roswell) Georgia, USA [RESULTS]

Saturday July 12th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Atlanta (Roswell) Georgia, USA [RESULTS]

Post by debora »

I propose to go to Roswell on July 12 to sketch the deportation of the mill workers 150 years ago:
http://www.roswellgov.com/index.aspx?NID=1760
https://www.facebook.com/federaloccupationroswell

Reenactors enjoy being sketched. But Roswell also has historic buildings for those who prefer architecture. And running water (Vickery Creek used to power the mill) and rocks and trees for those who like nature.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Atlanta (Roswell) Georgia, USA [RESULTS]

Post by debora »

I crawled by myself at a Civil War sesquicentennial event in Roswell, Georgia. It was the 150th anniversary of the Federal occupation of Roswell, so all the soldiers were from the Union side. No Confederate soldiers at this event. I limited myself to a sketch kit appropriate to the period.

First I warmed up by sketching a girl petting a horse

ImageMajor Hitt by debora000, on Flickr

Then it was time to proceed to the town square for the arrest of the mill workers. 400 workers, mostly women and children, from a textile mill that supplied the Confederate army, accused of treason and deported to the North.
ImageMill Workers by debora000, on Flickr

That was the 1:00 reenactment of the arrest. I myself got arrested at 3:00.

Most of the events were held on the grounds of Barrington Hall, the mansion of the family that owned the mill

ImageBarrington Hall by debora000, on Flickr

I sketched some celebrities: General George Thomas, the "Rock of Chickamauga." When the Civil War broke out, Southern-born US military officers had a decision to make. Robert E. Lee decided that his primary loyalty was to his home state of Virginia. George Thomas decided that his was to keep the oath he'd sworn to defend the United States. His family disowned him.

ImageGen. George Thomas by debora000, on Flickr

And President and Mrs. Lincoln - what were THEY doing there?

ImagePresident and Mrs. Lincoln by debora000, on Flickr

Still more to see, but I was hot and all sketched out.
Last edited by debora on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Debora,

These are great! Looks like you had a blast. I was indeed 'depleted' so had to sit this one out. Can't wait to see more!

Teri
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Sorry you didn't have company sketching but you did have some historical figures there with you. Nice sketches, I especially like the one of the exterior of the building.

Return to “44th World Wide SketchCrawl”