Atlanta, GA [Result]

Saturday April 19th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Atlanta, GA [Result]

Post by erlingingi »

Where do sketchers want to meet this time in the Decatur/Atlanta area?
Last edited by erlingingi on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA

Post by debora »

Lately I've been rather partial to Visitor Parking Lot 1 on the Georgia Tech campus. It's not far from the North Avenue MARTA station. If you are driving on the Connector, exit at North Avenue and go west a short distance past the stadium and under a pedestrian bridge. Turn left into the parking lot. From this corner of the campus you can draw quaint architectural details on century-old buildings, the downtown skyline, the Varsity, etc.

But I'm also open to exploring other people's favorite places. Oakland Cemetery was awesome!
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

I'm really looking forward to this sketch crawl…it must be spring fever or pollen delirium. I was just thinking about suggesting Piedmont Park on Saturday morning because it's also the site of the Green Market (farmer's market), I was imaging lots of people-watching opportunities, the new park renovations in general, the city in the background. Sounds a lot like what you are suggesting Debora. I've not spent much time on the GT campus that could be interesting too!
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Piedmont Park sounds interesting. Where does one park?

GT campus is great for architecture but not so good for people or nature. There are nice trees, but you can see more trees elsewhere. And the students don't stay still; they're all walking somewhere.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

There is a parking deck at Piedmont Park but I'm too cheap to pay so will probably make my way there via the beltline. You're welcome to meet at my place and we could carpool! I'm flexible, whatever is easier for the group is fine with me!
Kmcgah
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Kmcgah »

Piedmont Park works for me. The area around the Gardens is also interesting.
I could swing by your house Teri- I'll park in the garage- hate searching the adjacent streets for parking spaces.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Anyone else want to meet at my place and we can carpool in and split the parking fee? Email or text me and I'll send you my address. I'm near Oakland Cemetery.
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Sorry I won't be able to make it. Just learned I have to be out of town that day.
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Wish you could join us Debora! Erling, how does Piedmont Park sound to you? We should set a time and meeting spot whatever we decide.
Kmcgah
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Kmcgah »

I can only be available after 1:00pm. Does that work with the Green Market?
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Piedmont Park sounds good to me! I'll be there with my green hat around 1.30pm. The forecast is a bit wet, but less so in the afternoon rather than the morning. I lost my job this week so I've been busy, but I'll make time for this... lets call it "networking"
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

The weather's trying to clear up…Kathy and I will be there around 1:30 too, meet at the visitor center?? I'd like to park myself in the gazebo or otherwise under cover somewhere and sketch the lake.
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Im by the bridge by the dogruns, hope to spot a sketcher
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

The plan was to meet in Piedmont park on a drizzly afternoon, this time I only saw one other sketcher. It was a nice day out and a welcome break from portfolio gathering and resume writing. I have long wanted to paint this old bridge that brings the Beltline through the park. One time I looked up and saw this tiny crawler on my canvas. This inchworm blended perfectly into the painting, and then I knew I had done pretty well with my color mixtures. By the time the next Sketchcrawl comes around, I may well be in another city where I hope to continue the Sketchcrawl tradition.
Last edited by erlingingi on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA [Result]

Post by Sophie Valenti »

Superbe !!! 8)

Return to “43rd World Wide SketchCrawl”