Taos County New Mexico [RESULTS]

Saturday April 19th, 2014

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Deanna Tres Orejas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Taos County New Mexico [RESULTS]

Post by Deanna Tres Orejas »

I will be sketching near the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge on April 19th. There is a great view from the DOT rest area in the early morning (8:30 to 10:00 or so) of the gorge walls in light and shadow to the north of the bridge. People sketching gets fun there too in the vendor area near the bridge. If you would like to join me, please respond to this topic and we can set up a time and make other arrangements.

April 16: No responses to join me for this event as yet. Think I'll need to use another way of joining others for these events...
My husband and I drove to Dixon to pick up used wine barrels to use as watering cisterns for our fruit trees. On the way there and back, we passed several cemeteries all done up with fresh artificial flowers for Easter. Easter is a very big deal here in Taos and this weekend there will be other scenes here and there that will be fun subject matter. Not sure yet where I'll be observing on those days.

April 19: Morning cool with beautiful clouds. Settled myself on the Rio Grande Gorge rim (west side, about 1/2 mile walk north of the bridge). Swallows were darting back and forth overhead as I sketched looking north. Sun came out and warmed the valley up until the skies became completely overcast with stronger breezes. I'm endeavoring to understand values in a composition so just did a tonal sketch before light went away.
Last edited by Deanna Tres Orejas on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HRH CC
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Taos County New Mexico

Post by HRH CC »

Hi, Deanna! I searched for Taos, but only found this post. I haven't found a sketch yet, but will keep looking! I can't believe no one else up in Taos got together with you! But then maybe everyone was busy for the holiday! I'll keep an eye out for your sketch! :wave:
HRH CC
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Taos County New Mexico [RESULTS]

Post by HRH CC »

I found you! Great sketch! I've been right where you were today! On a very hot, sunny day! Beautiful spot!
Glad the sketch showed thru' this time! And hope you find some sketching buds! :clap:
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Really nice sketch! I'm sorry that you couldn't find anyone to sketch with you. I'm pretty much in the same boat, and have done several solo sketchcrawls. Not as much fun, but still worth the effort.
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

We enjoyed your canyon sketch. Very fine tonal definition! Our land is mostly flat here, so it's fun to see rocks and chunky landscape. :)
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/markfletcher
Deanna Tres Orejas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Deanna Tres Orejas »

Thank you for your comments. Although I enjoyed sketching by myself (I always do), I will endeavor to get to know others near here that would enjoy joining me (and others) for a day of sketching. I am a reluctant joiner by nature but at the same time I enjoy the company of others. Hmmm? I've enjoyed looking at the sketches from around the world. Truly, there is no such thing as a "bad" sketch…all are intriguing and endearing. Just as people are endearing once one takes the time to know them.

Return to “43rd World Wide SketchCrawl”