Washington, DC [RESULTS]

Saturday January 19th 2013

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

jwinstead
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Washington, DC [RESULTS]

Post by jwinstead »

The Washington D.C. group met on the National Mall to sketch the preparations for Monday's inauguration ceremony. I arrived late due to a family obligation earlier in the day, and I wasn't sure how easy it would be to find everyone, but I just walked down the Mall looking for sketchbooks, and quickly caught up with the group.

The Capitol is decorated with a lot of flags and red, white, and blue bunting, along with a stage and seating set up for the occasion. It usually takes them a few weeks to get everything set up, and then taken down again:

There were a lot of tourists taking pictures at the wall in front of the Capitol:

I also did a quick sketch of one of the lions guarding the Ulysses S Grant Memorial in front of the Capitol:

Even though I only made it for half the day, it was fun. I look forward to next time, and seeing everyone else's work.
bluedot
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Washington, DC [RESULTS]

Post by bluedot »

It was great meeting everyone today... here is my work:

A passerby reading a sign at the Hirshhorn Museum.

View of the Mall with the CNN big screen and temporary studio setup. A crowd gathered as their live coverage commenced.

A different view of the set, with the crowd waving at a crane mounted camera off to the left. They kept watching the big screen TV, and themselves, rather than the CNN talkheads on set.

One of several heavy equipment machinery used to setup a temporary "floor" on top of the National Mall lawn... the Capitol sits in the distance.

Workers on a break from laying the plastic tiles that will be protecting the National Mall lawn. As many as a million people could be filling the Mall on Monday to witness the Inauguration live.

People stand against a barrier and look at the Capitol in front of them, where hundreds of chairs are already neatly laid out for the many VIPs that will be watching the ceremony up close. Behind them is the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial, and in the distance the Washington Monument.

The Capitol dome seen through one of the many trees on its lawn... unfortunately I didn't have time to finish this one.
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Sophie Valenti »

Thank you for sharing your beautiful results ! Great to see the variety ! :thumbup:
LindaBenson
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by LindaBenson »

The day before the presidential inauguration there was a lot of activity on the National Mall.
Folks hocking memorial magnets ...
.... and even memorial condoms!
There were about 8 of my fellow artists who joined me on the Mall yesterday. We even got a little bit of coverage from PBS.
Susan T
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Susan T »

What fantastic sketches! Such a terrific location and occasion to be sketcing at! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

I cheated a little, and went back the day after our official 'crawl to do some more sketching... There just weren't enough hours in the day.

National Gallery East Wing by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Natural History Museum from the Hirshhorn by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 CNN by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Portopotty by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 White House Stage by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Police Box by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Capitol Building by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Jumbotron and Capitol by Tribastone, on Flickr

Inauguration 2013 Portojohns and Capitol by Tribastone, on Flickr
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Ctribastone »

A video feature about our sketchcrawl group on PBS New Hour's Inaugblog http://www.inaugblog.com/sketch.html

The video on vimeo- http://vimeo.com/57812702

Return to “38th World Wide SketchCrawl”