Santa Rosa, California SKETCHCRAWL {FINAL RESULTS}

Saturday January 19th 2013

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

isketch4fun
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Santa Rosa, California SKETCHCRAWL {FINAL RESULTS}

Post by isketch4fun »

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 meet me at the Visitors Center at 10:00 am at Rail Road Square, Santa Rosa. on Wilson Street. Get your sketchbook stamped. Return to Aroma Roster's coffee house at 1:00 pm for book sharing and friendship. Lots of activity to sketch-train station-people, animals, coffee shops and stores, old town, sometimes events.www.donnasfineart.com
Last edited by isketch4fun on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Santa Rosa, California SKETCHCRAWL

Post by gaelwriter »

Hi, just got into Santa Rosa this evening, from Manchester on the coast. Hope things are still on for tomorrow; be looking for you at the Visitor's Center at 10 AM.
ipaint4fun
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ipaint4fun »

The sketch crawl was fun with about twenty artists sketching the morning. Lots of activity by the railroad station on the tracks. Coffee shops are good places to sketch people hanging out. Later we met up and shared our sketches and future gatherings. www.donnasfineart.com
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

HISTORIC SANTA ROSA'S RAILROAD SQUARE, backdrop for Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt, Sketchcrawl WAS a lot of fun, and always good to remember to draw MORE....thanks to Donna, aka Isketch4fun, for organizing it, here is her first one, we ARE the home of the Charlie Shultz's Peanuts characters after all

Donna's first one:
Sketchcrawl, Charlie Brown's home-Santa Rosa by All Iris, on Flickr

& pages from her book:

Sketchcrawl #38 Donna by All Iris, on Flickr
Last edited by marcypainting on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 13 times in total.
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

Here's 3 of MY, (Marcy aka Iris aka marcypainting), 7 sketches, 5x8, spent 15-20 each, we started about 10AM, met at 1PM to share at Aroma Roasters Coffee house....diverse energy captured-

Sketchcrawl #38 Santa Rosa, CA by All Iris, on Flickr

9x12 graphite on paper, same scene, wider view:
Sketchcrawl 9x12 graphite, MS by All Iris, on Flickr
Last edited by marcypainting on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 am, edited 7 times in total.
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

It was nice to join my grandson, Brandon, and his Santa Rosa group for this Sketchcrawl. I've done only solos for the last couple of years on the coast at Manchester, but there is definitely a great element of camaraderie when sketching with a group of artists. Here's a few of my sketches from around the Railroad Center venue:

We have lots of mementoes of Walter Shultz' comic strip characters in his home town of Santa Rosa. Here's one of Charlie Brown and Snoopy

The cafes have such colorful names. Here's a sketch from Flying Goat

And finally, we ended the day in the Aroma Roaster coffee house for lunch and to compare sketchbooks
Last edited by gaelwriter on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Looks like a fun sketch crawl. Thanks for sharing your work!
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

Great colors in this one, Donna D's, the other coffee house, Flying Goat:

1/19/13 Sketchcrawl Donna by All Iris, on Flickr
Last edited by marcypainting on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Marci,

I can't troubleshoot too well for you because I suspect you are using Windows, and I use a Mac, and I employ PICASA as my photo hosting site, while you are using FLIKR. However, I also think you may be having a similar difficulty that I encountered with the latest version of my PICASA program.

The following relates to the difficulties I had with PICASA this time around. You cannot just highlight and "copy" the label for the image that is shown up in the usual spot for the URL address, the white window up at the top of the page. It now seems just an internal coding for the hosting service. When I did copy that, and pasted it into my response to our page, and then tried using PREVIEW before submitting, I could see in the preview sample that it would only continue to show the code I copied where the image should have appeared. In re-reading Sketchcrawls directions explicitly, I noted they had changed slightly for Mac, and in order to get the proper URL address for the image I had to hover my pointer over the image and right-click my mouse (trackpad) and a menu with a "Copy URL" would appeare, which I clicked. When I pasted that into the response, it was different than what I had been highlighting and copying before, and when I checked it on the PREVIEW sample, lo and behold the image was now there in the PREVIEW.

I suspect the same thing has happened at the flikr site. The use of the mouse and command keys are different on Windows machines, so I couldn't check any further how to locate your "Copy URL" for your images. See whether you can check this scenario out and let me know.

Jack
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

Thanks, I got it, I am with a new Mac, just pasted ALL the "BBCode" info from Flickr's "share" drop down box, embeds it, wow. Thanks!
Last edited by marcypainting on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

Gary Albright's piece:

Sketchcrawl Gary Albright by All Iris, on Flickr
marcypainting
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marcypainting »

Donna D's, "ipaintforfun," last one: sharing it for her, I love this, and we did have diverse folks hanging out around the tracks, the coffee houses, the streets, motor heads, street people, coffee drinkers, dogs, from 44 degrees to, um, 55, COLD for us Californian's!

Sketchcrawl #38 Hanging out by All Iris, on Flickr
isketch4fun
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Santa Rosa, California SKETCHCRAWL {FINAL RESULTS}

Post by isketch4fun »

HI ALL, I ADDED THE WORDS "FINAL RESULTS" AND HOPE THIS HELPS. I STRUGGLE WITH ALL THIS BUT EVENTUALLY GET IT. I THINK THE SKETCHCRAWL UPLOAD PROCESS IS PRETTY DIFFICULT! ANYWAY, BACK TO DRAWING AND THE DAY:
"There were about 20 plus sketchers that showed up. The morning was chilly but sunny. Lots of people gathering for coffee, chatting and just hanging out. I like watching the action and people waking up in the early morning. RR square has a diverse interesting culture. There is something cozy about the area by the RR tracks. Very relaxed, friendly, lots of dogs walking their owners and playing. We ended up at Aroma's to share our sketches and chat about the day. I will be planning somewhere interesting for the April sketchcrawl. Got any ideas? Donna (isketch4fun).
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Santa Rosa, California SKETCHCRAWL {FINAL RESULTS}

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Wow, full of coffee places from Santa Rosa! One of the best places to sketch, talk over cup of hot drinks with sketch friends :D

Return to “38th World Wide SketchCrawl”