Fredericksburg, Virginia USA [RESULTS]

Saturday July 14th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Fredericksburg, Virginia USA [RESULTS]

Post by Raudy »

Anita and I went to the battlefield park at Sunken Road to sketch. We found a good spot in the shade to sketch the statue of the Angel of Marye's Heights. I have walked past this statue a hundred times but never really stopped to look carefully at it. I was taken in particular by Kirkland's hand holding that of the wounded soldier. Here is the Wikipedia account of Richard Rowland Kirkland:
On December 13, 1862, Kirkland's unit had formed at the stone wall at the base of "Marye's Heights" near Fredericksburg, Virginia. In the action that followed, he and his unit inflicted heavy casualties on the Union attackers. On the night of December 13, walking wounded made their way to the field hospital while those who were disabled were forced to remain on the battlefield. The morning of December 14 revealed that over 8,000 Union soldiers had been shot in front of the stone wall at Marye's Heights. Many of those remaining on the battlefield were still alive, but suffering terribly from their wounds and a lack of water.
Soldiers from both sides were forced to listen to the painful cries of the wounded for hours, with neither side daring to venture out for fear of being shot by the enemy. At some point during the day, Kirkland allegedly approached Confederate Brig. Gen. Joseph B. Kershaw, also from Kershaw County, South Carolina, and informed him that he wished to help the wounded Union soldiers. By Kershaw's own account, at first he denied the request, but later he relented. However, when Kirkland asked if he could show a white handkerchief, General Kershaw stated he could not do that. Kirkland responded "All right, sir, I'll take my chances."
Kirkland gathered all the canteens he could carry, filled them with water, then ventured out onto the battlefield. He ventured back and forth several times, giving the wounded Union soldiers water, warm clothing, and blankets. Soldiers from both the Union and Confederate armies watched as he performed his task, but no one fired a shot. General Kershaw later stated that he observed Kirkland for more than an hour and a half. At first, it was thought that the Union would open fire, which would result in the Confederacy returning fire, resulting in Kirkland being caught in a crossfire. However, within a very short time, it became obvious to both sides as to what Kirkland was doing, and according to Kershaw cries for water erupted all over the battlefield from wounded soldiers. Kirkland did not stop until he had helped every wounded soldier (Confederate and Federal) on the Confederate end of the battlefield. Sergeant Kirkland's actions remain a legend in Fredericksburg to this day..
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Fredericksburg, Virginia USA [RESULTS]

Post by bh yoo »

Really touching story! You drew well conveying the sacrificing and brave deed of Kirkland. Thank you for sharing. :clap: :thumbup: :angel:

Return to “36th World Wide SketchCrawl”