Atlanta, GA USA

Saturday July 14th 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Cre8it
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Atlanta, GA USA

Post by Cre8it »

Let's beat the heat and find a cool sketching adventure for Saturday morning July 14th. Please post suggestions. Nice past locations include Lenox Mall and the Atlanta Water Gardens store on Cheshire Bridge Rd.

Looking forward to a great time,
Lori Ann
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA USA

Post by debora »

Hi Lori Ann,

I don't have suggestions for places, but I'm planning to come.

I am also thinking about doing some post-crawl sketching one week later at the Battle of Atlanta living history presentations. I like the idea of trying to capture something that is particular to this place.
http://www.batlevent.org/main.html

Debora
Cre8it
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA USA at FERNBANK SCIENCE CENTER

Post by Cre8it »

Hi Sketchers!

The weather for Sat looks like 40% chance of rain and hot, so a combination of indoor and outdoor sketching possibilities might be our best bet. For anyone interested in breakfast before sketching, let's meet at Evans Fine Foods at the corner of Clairmont and N. Decatur Rd. at 9:00am and then head over to Fernbank Science Center (NOT the museum) at 10:00am when it opens. Admission and parking are free (though donations are accepted) and there is a 65 acre hardwood forest with 1.5mi of paved walking trails. Inside, there is a 9,000 sq. ft. exhibit hall with natural history exhibits, a space capsule and space exploration exhibit, and a few live exhibits. The lighting indoors is a bit dim, but should be OK. There are picnic tables outside, though a camp stool might be helpful for sitting while sketching in other areas. Check out fsc.fernbank.edu for directions and more information.

We can meet after sketching at noon at the entrance. Based on the number of sketchers, we can figure out a spot to have a brief show and tell before departing. If anyone is able to take photos and post them here afterwards, that would be great!

Looking forward to a fun outing!
Lori Ann
Cre8it
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Cre8it »

Debora,

Thanks so much for sharing the info about the Battle of Atlanta event. Too bad I have a conflict next weekend.

And, after I got the info about Fernbank, I saw that you suggested it earlier... great minds! I haven't been there in a while, so will enjoy seeing what's new there.

Looking forward to Sat.
Lori Ann
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

Lori Ann and Debora,

I'm up for a sketchcrawl this weekend but would like to steer clear of Fernbank (I work there). It's a bit 'close to home' for me and there's no longer free public access into the forest since the museum took it over. I like your idea of an indoor/outdoor option though. I had originally thought it would be interesting to sketch in the Oakland Cemetery-Cabbagetown historic district including the Fulton Cotton Mill. There are some nice cafés there too for a snack or cool drinks. BUT that doesn't offer an indoor option, unless we sit in the Carroll Street Café and draw.

If everyone else still wants to draw at Fernbank, no worries, I'll catch up with you on the next crawl!

Teri
Cre8it
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Cre8it »

Teri, thanks for the update about FSC. I get why it might not be your spot of choice, but I think we should stick with the Fernbank plan this time since we're only three days until Sat and the weather forecast is still iffy. For those interested in being outdoors, I recall there being a small marked trail next to Fernbank Elementary school just across the street from the science center (on the right as you face the school) that is open access.

Happy sketching!
Lori Ann
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

For anyone unfamiliar with Fernbank: the address of Fernbank Science Center is 156 Heaton Park Drive, Atlanta, GA 30307. There is no charge to enter; if you are expected to buy a $17.50 ticket you are in the wrong place, the nearby Fernbank Museum of Natural History. The science center's website is http://fsc.fernbank.edu/.

And some background: Fernbank Science Center, established in 1967, is owned and operated by the DeKalb County School System. In June the school board approved a budget which, among other reductions, cut the science center's funding by 40%. This is not the end of the story for the fiscal year which began July 1. The board is now being asked to approve 370 additional layoffs systemwide (teachers and paraprofessionals).

Return to “36th World Wide SketchCrawl”