Saturday April 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

HOUSTON, Texas (Results)

Post by sketchcat »

Two sketchers and one tolerant spouse went out to sketch today. Luckily we had a great subject and there was plenty to keep the happy husband entertained. A re-enactment of the Battle of San Jacinto is held every year at the San Jacinto Monument by the Houston Ship Channel. Lots of people turn out for this and there are costumes and props and a staging of the battle. Great subjects for sketching. This battle was the definitive moment in the independence of Texas from Mexico and re-enactors take this history very seriously. The weather was cool and clear with a stiff wind. I must admit, however, that it's a bit weird to see a period battle encampment in the foreground with the stacks of a passing container ship poking up through the trees in the background as it glides past on the ship channel.

Vignettes of a few things from the encampments. The cannon is one of the "Two Sisters" that won the battle for the Texians. They fired them multiple times today and they are LOUD.

The battlefield looking toward the Mexican camp and the San Jacinto monument.

General Santa Ana himself. This re-enactor posed patiently for photos and answered questions for several hours before the "battle" began.
It was a fun day. I'm sure there will be more sketches and maybe some photos to come.
tomypeck
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: HOUSTON, Texas (Results)

Post by tomypeck »

Excellent sketchs Chris, look like you have a wonderful day.
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Re: HOUSTON, Texas (Results)

Post by sketchcat »

It was a lot of fun. I've never been to a re-enactment before. Wonderful rich subject matter there for sketching!

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”