Sensei Crawler

Vancouver, BC Canada [Results]

Post by CyberDave »

Vancouver Sketchers...

Saturday April 21, 2012
Meeting Location: Beside 'Laughing Statues' - Denman Street at Beach Ave
Time: 10:00am

14 Participants at this Vancouver Sketchcrawl:
Sarah [clokisworld], Ruth, Aygul, Mark, Vineet, Carol [sketchalina], Karen, Sheri, Carl, Hanna and Megan - from "The Vancouver Contemporary Artists Group" :thumbup:
Asuka (visiting from Brisbane, Australia) :wave: and Ramiro [ramisama] (visiting from New York City) :wave:
Dave [Cyberdave]

My first attempt at an Artist Trading Card (ATC) today.
This is of the Cactus Club Cafe at English Bay.

There was a nice group of sketchers out this morning. Keen to start a few came early and met at the "Laughing Statues". After an hour or so a number of the group decided to head into Stanley Park" in search of the "Nesting Herons", but I remained on one of the benches near the statues.

Recent News:
It has been announced that the statues will likely stay in Vancouver permanently. See link -
http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+p ... story.html

Cheers
Dave
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Vancouver, BC Canada [Results]

Post by asnee »

dear all, with biggest apology, i'm having a medical check up for some stone in kidney today and my trip to vancouver is postponed to around end of month, sorry for failing to inform earlier.
with apology
cheers
asnee
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

@asnee

Sorry to hear that.. ouch I can relate as I have gone through that a few times before. :shock:
Hope to meet you at another time.

Cheers
Dave
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Vancouver Sketchers..

Please excuse me for having to leave at 2:30 pm... I had been sketching since 8:30am and sitting on the same bench. By 2:00pm I was feeling quite I'll. :sick: :(
I did not realize until I got home that I was quit sunburned on the back of the neck and probably this was why I was feeling I'll. I felt much better after drinking a few glasses of water.

I was so looking forward to meeting up with you all to see your sketches. I hope the rest of you take the opportunity to get together at the end of the day.

Ramiro... It was great meeting you and hope you enjoyed your day. Have a safe trip home to NYC. I look forward to chatting with you in the coming weeks. :wave:

:wave: :wave: :wave:

Cheers
Dave
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi Cyber Dave!
:sick: I hope you are feeling better by now :eh: ?
We also had to leave our beautiful location early. After months of literal drought, we had a big thunderboomer. A couple of us decamped to a cafe where the only table left was outside under a steel-poled umbrella. Lightning struck too close for comfort, so we took a hint & called it a day. Tho we DID get some good sketches in the A.M.
More later,
Mark PS What's with the palm trees and Cactus Cafe in VC? I thought you in were "the great white north"?
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Mark.. :crazy:

Feeling much better now.. Just preparing to post my sketches and stuff from today.

I know most people in the world think that the whole of Canada is run by wild lumberjacks and dog-sledder's, that we all wear either those funny backward hats or beaver pelts on our heads, that it is the "great Frozen Northland", but it is not. Vancouver, BC is a sheltered, West Coast port where it rarely goes below freezing for long. Yes we have palm trees and lots of plants that would normally get killed off in any other part of Canada because of the Winter cold. On the other end of the scale, Vancouver is also not exposed to really hot weather. The Pacific ocean currents moderate the temperature here.

Just think of Vancouver as being the Canadian version of Paradise :lol: 8)

Hey we don't even have to put bug screens on our windows because we don't get Mosquitos and similar nasties. The breeze from the Pacific seems to keep them away. You may be able to find a few in Stanley Park if you look hard enough though.

Cheers
Northwest Fletcher
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Artist Trading Cards

Sketchcrawlers at the Laughing Statues

Sketch from my bench - Hot Dog Vendor at English Bay

Hmm.. The photo got cut off on entrance side, I'll need to fix that. I assume the image I provided was too big.
The photo makes this sketch look dull and washed out. The original looks brighter and sharper.

Cheers
Dave
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hey Nor' wester--
You better not let that info out.
The Washington Economic Review just rated Tallahassee as the Number One overall retirement destination in the US. And we have super hot/humid summers, too many mozzies even in drought years AND it was 22F already by November last year.
A harsh climate compare with your town. Just think of all of us Tallahasseeans who will flock to VC if we actualy believe there is something better!
Sou-Easter
PS enjoyed your laughing sculpture ATCs
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

The statues look really interesting. You'd enjoy the sketching. Love the hotdog vendor sketch! And hope you to feel better after rest. :clap: :thumbup: :lol:
asuka
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by asuka »

Hi

Sorry I got to English Bay a little late as I had to finish some work. At least I got there to have a look around.

I had a little bit of time to sketch the Marine Building on Burard St on the way back to the hotel.
It was getting a little cold in the evening so I didn't get to finish the brickwork.

I hope everyone had fun.
Asuka

Camera Roll-53 by Asuka *, on Flickr
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

@Asuka...

Wonderful sketch of the Marine Building. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have not had a try at sketching it yet, but your rendition makes me want to have a go at it.

Sorry we did not get to meet up this time around.
We had a good turn out, but I don't have a count on how many.
My posse :lol: seemed to take off as a group into the park in search of nesting herons.. I did not see them again :(
I guess my posse became someone else's posse :)

I am hoping some of them will post their stuff here soon, as I am keen to see what they were sketching. They would at least have had a good walk around Lost Lagoon.

Cheers
Dave
gnyp
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gnyp »

Always nice to see Vancouver again. I'd be drawing (and, most-importantly, sampling) the hot dogs with Dave!
My website: briangnyp.com!
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

@gnyp
Brian, I did a lot of wistful lusting for the hotdogs but no sampling" :(

Thanks for the thought

Cheers
Dave
gnyp
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gnyp »

Well then you would have had the chance to draw me diggin in to them. I haven't had a real hotdog in ages!
My website: briangnyp.com!
ramisama
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ramisama »

Hey Dave,

Thanks for being such a great host, I had a wonderful time with all the other sketchers. I had a great time with Carla, Sarah, Mark, Sheryl and Aigu!, I think I learned a lot from all of you guys. I'll post some pics once I get home!

cheers,

Ramiro

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”