Atlanta, GA - USA [ With Results ]

Saturday April 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Atlanta, GA - USA [ With Results ]

Post by debora »

Anybody else interested in sketchcrawling in Atlanta?
Last edited by debora on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA - USA

Post by erlingingi »

I just moved to the area, and am interested in crawlin'. I'm in Decatur so wouldn't mind doing something around there. :)
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Hi Erling (and anyone else),
Very happy to see you're coming. Decatur works for me. We could meet by the Celebration sculpture in the plaza on top of the Church Street MARTA station entrance at 9:30. Neither the time nor the place is particularly important to me, so if you have a different preference, please post it.
-- Debora
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Sounds good to me, see you there, unless somebody else has a better idea. I hope more people can make it. :thumbup:
flyweight
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by flyweight »

I am interested as well and live in North Druid Hills. Decatur would be easy for me, but I'll participate subject to weather. Right now the forecast is calling for severe storms! Is there an indoors option in case of rain?

I am new to sketching and would like the practice as well as watching how others sketch. This would be my first crawl.

Cheers,
Lucinda
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Hi Lucinda,

Looking forward to meeting you!

Good point about weather. If it is raining more than a little drizzle at 9:30 AM, I'll be in the Java Monkey across the street, sketching the other customers and watching for you. We can meet there and decide where we want to go next, depending on what kinds of subjects we like to sketch.

This will be only my second sketchcrawl. The January crawl got canceled because of storms - pouring rain, lightning, tornado watch - it was supposed to be at the botanical garden and we hadn't made a rain plan. Last October we met in downtown Decatur and were surprised to find ourselves in the middle of a beer fest.

Debora
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

In case anyone is wondering what we can sketch if it rains, one possibility is to go to the Fernbank Science Center (the free one run by the school system, not the museum that charges admission). They open at 10 am and have still life subjects such as an Apollo space capsule and stuffed birds. Cafes and malls are also a possibility. We can decide when we meet.

If it doesn't rain, the buildings of downtown Decatur are good subjects, and it might be fun to drop by the Touch-a-Truck event being held from 10 to 1. http://beactivedecatur.wordpress.com/
flyweight
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by flyweight »

Looks like nice weather for Saturday. So I guess we'll meet at the sculpture?
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

Yep, see you at the sculpture. And if it should rain anyway, I'll be right across the street in the Java Monkey, sketching people. (Usually I try not to be noticed when I do that, but this time I'll have to be blatantly obvious so you'll recognize me!)
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tnye »

I'm registered! Very nice day...so good to sketch with everyone.
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

Today I went out to participate in a sketchcrawl in my new hood in Decatur GA. I Only had pencils and a tiny sketchbook plus my trusty Nintendo DS since most of mygear is in a container somewhere. I did one sketch of a church in blue col- erase pencil. Then i found a dark spot under a big tree amd sketched my friends and fellow sketchcrawlers Will and his wife Anna on my Nintendo. The last few minutes were spent doing quick studies of random people in Decatur square. A fun day out.
It was very nice to meet everybody!
debora
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by debora »

It was fantastic to meet all the sketchers who turned out. Most of us had never met before. Really enjoyed seeing the different styles and media used by the six of us, and picking up tips from everyone.

Here is my view from the meeting place, showing Will sketching and Anna almost hidden by the column (artistic license taken with their shirt colors). Hope he'll post his drawing so you can see his version of the same subject. Teri sketched the same thing from the next column over. Hope she'll post her drawing - hers features several trees; mine avoids trees. Funny to see how our individual preferences are expressed even when we're drawing the same thing.

A lot of families were walking through the plaza carrying balloons from the Touch-A-Truck event a couple of blocks away. I had to go check it out. A fire truck, a cement mixer ... The noise was deafening, with horns honking and one truck sucking up rocks with a tube like an elephant's trunk. I attempted to sketch the line to sit in the cab of the dump truck, but it was a challenge because everyone was constantly moving.

After we met back at the plaza, I stayed longer to sketch this umbrella. Good thing I did, because a passerby asked if I was an urban sketcher! She's been looking for people to sketch with,and hopefully she'll join us on our next crawl.

flyweight
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by flyweight »

So nice to meet everyone. Sorry I had to leave early. The sketches are wonderful and it was the perfect day and setting. Looking forward to meeting up with the group again soon.

-Lucinda
erlingingi
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by erlingingi »

We need to photoshop you in on the group shot Lucinda. I hope you can post some sketches here. :)

Debora can you edit the title of the first post in this thread to reflect that there are results in the thread?
tnye
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Atlanta, GA - USA [ With Results ]

Post by tnye »

Finally!? Here is my vision of the Decatur Square, trees are involved of course...this was a fun experience. Hope we can meet again!
Last edited by tnye on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”