Saturday April 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by CyberDave »

Hello all Vancouver, BC sketchers. :wave:

It is time again for our Vancouver group to plan our participation in the next World-wide Sketchcrawl coming up on Saturday April 21, 2012. All sketchers planning on participating in Sketchcrawl 35, please check in here on this topic so that we can get acquainted. :)

I see we already had an interested sketchers, Sarah (clokisworld). :wave: Welcome Sarah.. :wave: who has just moved to Vancouver. I assume from your posting, that is Vancouver BC and not Vancouver, Washington State :wink: :)

To keep the chief moderator (Gustavo) and the other moderators happy, please consolidate postings for Vancouver, BC into this topic with the official topic name: town, state/province, country.

Location Suggestions
:think: Please if you have any suggestions for the sketching location, venue or theme for this coming Sketchcrawl 35, post your ideas here. To avoid confusion let us select the final location at least a week prior to the crawl day. That means having the decision concluded and posted by April 14th here. :think:

In 2011 Vancouver Sketchers participated at the following locations:
. Sketchcrawl 30 - January 22 - :( no sketchers :(
. Sketchcrawl 31 - April 16 - Seabus, Pacific Centre and Subway cruising (cazythalia went solo), Nitobe Memorial Gardens UBC (BCgirl went solo)
. Sketchcrawl 32 - July 23 - Chinatown (sketchalina, crazythalia and Cyberdave)
. Sketchcrawl 33 - October 15 - Granville Island Public Market (Cyberdave) and Maplewood Farm, North Shore (jimmy le fish)
This year 2012 Vancouver Sketchers had two groups participating as follows:
. Sketchcrawl 34 - January 15 - one group at the Bloedel Conservatory (Nina, Asuka, Ben, Jimmy, Alle and Cyberdave) and a second group in Waterfront Station, Gastown /Chinatown (Alyosha and friends)

Cheers
CyberDave
clokisworld
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by clokisworld »

Hi Dave,

Great to see there is already a community of sketchers in Vancouver! I brought up this event ( Sketchcrawl 35) at the last gathering of the Vancouver Contemporary Artists Meetup ( http://www.meetup.com/The-Vancouver-Con ... y-Artists/ ) and they all seemed very excited to join. Keep you up to date with the developments, or you could join the meetup group as well.

As for locations, I totally dig Chinatown and I'd love to check out the seawall too for a more nature-y part.

Peace,

Sarah
Alle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Alle »

Hi guys,
just few quick idea's... :) If it's not raining we could stay outside , and we can sketch people, buildings, dogs and small boat in False Creek and around the walking path..or around Coal Harbour !
Or we can look nice spot in Stanley Park !

If we are interested only on people we can simple go in any shopping centre! :)

Alle
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by asnee »

Hello dear guys, and greeting from Bangkok. I've been crawling for a little while now but certainly a new (old) guy around Vancouver for the up coming crawl. I am visiting Vancouver and would really love to join the group for the crawl please. I shall be staying around Robson Street.
Will keep in touch with Vancouver sketchers here again, cheers
Asnee
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Asnee :wave:

We will be happy to have you join us. We are still deciding venue/location, but I hope we can get that sorted out early.

I think I will suggest that we do some people sketching and stuff along the seawall and beach around Denman and Beach Ave. This should not be far for you coming from Robson and the bus runs that route very regularly. There are a few places to duck into if it decides to rain and where we can meet afterwards for our show and tell session.

I was also going to propose that for this sketchcrawl we each try one Postcard and one Artist Trading card each in addition to any regular sketching. This might be fun. I'll see about getting a supply of blank cards for the group. I plan to post more info once I work out the details. Thought it may be nice to do the Artist Trading cards and do a swap so people have a souvenir of the day. I was thinking that the postcards would get mailed to sketchcrawlers in other cities :)

Cheers
Dave
Alle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Alle »

Hi folks,
I think along seawall it's a good idea, always has a huge variety/type of people.

I want also to add a poster at school so more people can come and join us ! I believe also that's best to decide first the location and then make a poster (I know how "students" thinks) :)

So.. Hands up for Beach Ave and Denman ..! :thumbup:

Alle
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Alle..

It has always been hard for the Vancouver group to decide on a location. :problem: So I say..
Let's just pick now and go forward. :thumbup:

Okay it's "Denman and Beach Ave" - Meet by the "Laughing Statues" at 10:00am or at Starbucks on corner of Denman and Davie Street if it is raining. That gets decision made before April 1 :)

Go ahead Alle and do your poster :thumbup:
and put it up as appropriate.. could you post an image of your poster on the forum here please .. we would all love to see it.

:idea: Updated! :idea:
We may want to check out the Cactus Club Cafe.. it looks like it may be a good spot to meet for our "show and tell" session afterwards. Because it is April they may let us have a corner outside as a rally point while we sketch.

Thanks and cheers
Dave
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

lookin forward to the laughin' statues, etc, Dave!
Mark
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Vancouver Sketchrawl 35 is Upon Us.

The plan I have is as that the Vancouver crawl for Sketchcrawl 35 will be at Denman Street and Beach Ave. Meet at the "Laughing Statues" at 10:00am (I am usually there early).
From there we can split up and sketch, people, the statues, the sea-wall, English Bay and the Denman/Beach/Davie area. I am planning to try and sketch some postcards and Artist Trading Cards (ATC's) as well as regular sketches. Looks like a place we can meet up later is the new Cactus Club Restaurant across the road on the beach side. The Cactus Club has an outside seating area that looks good looking onto the beach.

If it is raining, I suggest we should meet at Starbucks on the corner of Denman Street and Davie Street across from the statues.

If anyone wants do another group at a different location, please post it in this forum so others may join you.

Cheers
Dave

Return to “35th World Wide SketchCrawl”