Perfect field kit?

Sketchbooks, pencils, pens, slabs of rock ... what's your latest discovery?

Moderator: Gerald

donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Perfect field kit?

Post by donnam »

As I continue what seems to be my never ending search for the perfect field kit, this is what I will use for the first time today as I go out sketching with a friend. The bag measures 10 inches wide, 3.25 in. deep, and 6.5 in. high. What I really think I like about it, is all of the top zipper compartments--makes it easy to get to things and they are not buried deep due to the 6.5" height. My only concern is that there is only the little strap handle on the side which means I have to carry in my hand, or on my wrist, or under an armpit. But, if I find I really like it, I think that a luggage shop might be able to add a strap for over my shoulder.

Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

Hope it worked, and hope you'll come back and let us know if you found it comfortable to use.

Good luck!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Zoe, I do like how everything fits into it. I can easily carry it around the house and sketch. But, for field work, it is not the best, cuz I can't just stand around and sketch because I have to put it down somewhere.

I just took a sketching workshop and the teacher wore one of those waist packs, with a similar design--everything comes out of the top zippered compartments. To me, I think that is the ideal scenario, but waist packs do not make a fashion statement! Hmm, fashion or simplicity????
Zoe
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Zoe »

I always want the best sort of looking stuff and the most comfortable and often exchange one for the other.

Now I am trying, and hard, to keep it simple. I am putting together some of the stuff I'd like to have on me at all times, including my wallet and camera--a one bag operation.

Thus far I've stashed into the bag: a small watercolour box, a brush holder with the smallest of my brushes (and two travelers, including a mini-squirrel); one small pad of watercolour paper and one small pad of cartridge paper, a small but good pencil sharpener; an old tin with a minimum number of drawing pencils and a water bottle.

There is still room for a newspaper, a writing block, odds and ends, and it can be carried either by hand or on my shoulder. (see the other thread on bags where I've just posted a photo).

I am looking forward to the next weekend to test run this newest version.

Return to “Materials”