New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS] under the mountain

January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thetaranakisketchers »

The sun burnt off the cloud to burst into a hot summer's day to begin the first Sketch Crawl of the World.

Iconic in New Zealand is the humble corner dairy, found midst cities and country towns. They are the best place for an icecream, or a bag of ‘lollies’. In yesteryear you would pop in for a loaf and bottle of milk. Kids could buy an ice-block, blackballs, aniseed balls, acid drops or gob stoppers.
Smooth creamy Tip Top icecream is as kiwiana as the dairy, itself. Hokey Pokey being a specialty.

Individually half a dozen of us began with this theme then met to sketch till we dropped.

Iona Dairy, where New Plymouth's largest and best value for money icecreams may be found

Formerly a 'Superette' - the Highlands Dairy with its pretentious step gable facade

Brooklands 4 Square, has been a grocery brand since the 1920's with Mr 4 Square ("Charlie") as a identifiable logo from the 1950's

The organic coffee cart by the Millienium kinetic wind wand was doing a roaring trade

A huge crowd gathered on the coastal walkway to attend the auction of the 'Seriously Hard Rock Carving Symposium' carvings. Some of the volcanic andesite works going for $10,000. One of our sketchers was a stone carver successfully selling her piece

Fiddly bits of the Fredrick's pub - front door

The nikau palm grows prolifically in Taranaki. It is the only palm species endemic to mainland New Zealand. The maoris used the leaves to thatch roofs of their whares, also to weave hats, mats, baskets and leggings. Storage containers were made from the outer portions of the trunk. The red berries attract wood pidgeons and kaka. Sometimes it was called 'millionaires salad' - if you ate the heart of the developing leaves, it would kill the tree.

Most recognisable to New Zealanders is the native Cabbage tree (cordyline australis) - typifying our landscape. Its berries are a favourite of the wood pidgeons, tui and bellbirds. It has a corky fissured bark which is soft to the touch. Its fibrous leaves may be woven into strong rope.
Last edited by thetaranakisketchers on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:04 am, edited 5 times in total.
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: New Plymouth New Zealand [RESULTS] under the mountain

Richmond Cottage, drawn by Paul
Built of stone in 1853 for the Richmond and Atikinson families as a 'town house'. Originally located by the beach it was moved next to the Puke Ariki museum.

Last edited by thetaranakisketchers on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnyp
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gnyp »

The local corner store - These days, most urban places have a local convenience store. Author William Gibson said that a convenience store could be the kind of place that can sell you everything that you might ever need while most others carry things you can't imagine that you would actually want.
In New Zealand, this kind of store is called a 'dairy'. There is a chain of stores down under called Four Square that are like a large dairy or a small supermarket. These are my personal favourite - local, casual and retro-looking Mr Four Square.

This was the first one of the day when I was still fresh. (Moturoa - My favourite Four Square)

This one was a Four Square/Dairy combo. (2 in 1!) I'm not sure of the retail dynamic of having a dairy beside a Four Square but it must work somehow.

The last one of the day and the least busy store of the three.
Quite a bit of mountain biking today to get around the city. It was a good day for it though. The LARGE coffee while meeting up with the other sketchers was appreciated. (I had a headwind coming off the sea on the way back.)
My website: briangnyp.com!
quirkyartist
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by quirkyartist »

Just love the drawings of the corner stores. They remind me of Mulcahy's store on our corner in Timaru when I was growing up.

Love the red pen. I did sanguine (in Sydney in the rain). I'm abour to get more adventourous with coloured pens myself, so great to see these wonderful results.

Love the selective colour.

Love the pals - particularly the colours in the trunks.
jackie.flynn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jackie.flynn »

Here is my local Dairy. The Hillcrest Dairy. There was a constant stream of people going in and out of it while I drew it.

Here is a photo of the sculpture that Liz sold in the Seriously Hard Rock Carving Symposium Auction.

I drew this trike while I was watching the auction.
Jacquie.
A member of The Taranaki Sketchers and the Urban Sketchers Flickr Group.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquieFlynn1995
Swasky
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Swasky »

Nice results! When you've finished, here in Barcelona, we've hardly started. Well done people! See you around.
thetaranakisketchers
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Hi Quirkyartist, great we could bring back some memories for you. Gracias too, Swasky, all the best for your run today.

Attached is Trevor's work:
Windmill Dairy, corner of Mill Rd and Carrington

Horners Food Store,corner of Pioneer Rd and Harbour St. This food store was purchase by Mr Horner in 1945, he married a few years later and he and his wife ran it until 1970,when the supermarkets started to open up in New Plymouth,in the end they sold food cheaper than he could buy it, hence the closure. They then turned it in to their home and still live there.

Exterior view of Centre City shopping mall and car parking. Young nikau in foreground.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

New Plymouth Sketchers :wave:

It's 1am Saturday morning here in Vancouver and I am all amped up ready to go.. and can't sleep. I have re-packed my kit about four times :lol:
No doubt when I am out sketching today, I will identify something missing anyway. :) Well as long as it is not something embarrassing such as leaving the apartment still wearing my fuzzy slippers. :lol:
It has been raining and raining and raining all afternoon and night, but it has washed away the snow now. It is supossed to rain all day Saturday in Vancouver. :(
You folks have already done your sketches and posted :thumbup:

Fantastic job as usual and all very productive. The Dairy sketches are all superb and the explanation helped about "Dairy's" - we syill call them Convenience Stores here. Interesting to see the varied styles sketching the Dairy's. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great coffee truck by Scott - I love the drawing and the colours. Ditto for the folks on the rocks/beach. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'll see if I can find one of the Nikau Palms, wood pigeons and Kaka today. The Vancouver group is going to the Bloedel Conservatory to sketch in the dome. The Bloedel is full of tropical plants, fish and tropical birds. I believe they have some trees, plants and birds from New Zealand too. I'll look out for cabbage trees, tui and bellbirds too. Scott I recognize that bag of markers anywhere. 8)

Thanks all for the great photos too.

Looks like Vancouver will have 6 sketchers unless we get some last minute people.
Well I better try to get some sleep or I will be dragging my sizeable rear-end around all day. :shock: :shh:

Cheers
CyberDave
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by alissa »

Great sketches New Zealand !! It is always exciting to see different drawings of the same views/building by different sketchers. I like the red - I always think I am brave using Blue Grey !!!! One day I will get adventurous.

You have captured a slice of life and shown it around the world. We have finished ours in Sydney too and it is great to share the excitment.
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Great sketches New Zealand. Congratulations. All are great. I esp. like the coffee stall and the town scape.
Tatie
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Tatie »

Bravo à la Nouvelle Zélande!
Vos dessins (finished before we began) nous ont donné la pêche!!!! :wink:
Maureen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Maureen »

I lived in New Zealand, many years ago. I remember the Dairy and the amazing ice cream. My fave was the vanilla with chocolate 'shavings' through it. These lovely pictures brought back many memories.
jackie.flynn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jackie.flynn »

Thank-you everyone for all your wonderful comments! We enjoyed our day and Brian's idea of sketching our local Dairys.
Here are a few photos of the Stone Carving Symposium Auction.

I found it a bit too hard to sketch here as there was so much going on and people everywhere. So I did this sketch of a carving that sits on Puke Ariki Landing outside the Puke Ariki Museum.
It is Nga Hau e Wha, God of the Four Winds.
Jacquie.
A member of The Taranaki Sketchers and the Urban Sketchers Flickr Group.

https://www.facebook.com/JacquieFlynn1995
Artlike
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Artlike »

So very much enjoyed your posts...bravo & thanks for sharing! Ed in Texas,USA :thumbup:
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

These are all awesome! I don't know where to begin but all of the renditions of the corner store are amazing. Love gnyp's, thetaranakisketchers's colors are awesome! jackie: cool statue!!

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”