January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Re: Vancouver, BC Canada - [Results]

Post by CrowTalk »

Lovely pictures of the birds in the conservatory. The group portrait by CyberDave is terrific. Good work all! :clap: Best wishes, Mary
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

My final two sketches - #3 & #4

Well I think I grew 2 inches taller on Saturday. The grounds keeper sprayed me with water a few times while I was sitting sketching. :( I guess he thought with my lucky green shirt, that I was one big fat Red and Green Macaw sitting amongst the trees. :lol: The two Macaws "Carmen" and "Maria" both thought it was hilarious each time I got soaked and started bobbing their heads up and down and screeching in laughter. :roll: Me I was more interested in protecting my watercolour sketches from getting wet and blotchy.

Sketchcrawl # 34 - Sketch/painting #3
I really did not have my heart in doing this sketch/painting, it just was not going where I wanted it to go. I tried to fix it, but IMHO it really became a splotchy mess. Hopefully the colours help redeem what really turned into a mini-painting. This was my decoy while doing the portrait sketches (Sketch #2). :lol: Much of the sketching and colour was already done at the Bloedel on Saturday, but fixes and completion done Sunday at home.

Title: "Blue and Gold Macaw"
11" x 15" Watercolour
Paper: Arches 300lb Rough

Sketchcrawl # 34 - Sketch #4
My 4th and final for Sketchcrawl #34 is a quick sepia sketch worked as negative space. The sketch was done using Sakura Pigma Sepia pens. As I did this at the very end of the day, I was rushed. After scribbling in the darks with the Pigma Brush pen, I realized it would have been better and easier on the pens to use lines and cross-hatching. Oh well! something for another day to try. These pens do work really well on Arches Rough paper.

Title: "Plant Sketcheed with Sakura Pigma Sepia pen"
4" x 6" Sepia Pen Sketch
Paper: Arches 300lb Rough

Well I had a great time with a great and fun group of sketchers. I could spend days in the Bloedel Conservatory sketching.. I understand they have an orchid display in there somewhere. There was one beautiful bird strutting around al day that I never got a picture of. There are also lots of things to sketch outside the Conservatory in Queen Elizabeth park and we should consider that as a spring or summer sketchcrawl location when it is warmer.
Special thanks to Alle, Nina, Jimmy, Ben and Asuka for making this an enjoyable day.

Cheers
Dave
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hey Van Couver! great! nice to see your group is growing and going strong. Dave, I enjoyed your writing as well as your drawings. Birds are fun to draw, if noisy. And you didn't need to moisten your pan colors with those pesky gardeners watering you. That shirt would be great on a hot summer day. :lol: The portrait collage is really cool. (Prints to the participants would make a nice Happy Chinese New Year present!) Wishing you all the best this year of the Dragon!
Mark, Tallahassee Florida USA The vivid colors in Blue and Gold Macaw are joyful :thumbup:
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
Alle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Alle »

Hey CyberDave, me offended? I'm actually honored to be one of your subject! :oops: I like it.. Thanks!
Nina also appreciated it and say Thanks !

For the upcoming SketchCraw I'll try to bring more of my classmate so we can show how big we are to the SanFrancisco crawl !!! :wink:

Crgcas: thanks! Was the first time for me to sketch somethings that moves so fast and it's never quite..so I decide to go with ink instead of pencil just to be forced to be quick. I had 4 different color and I tried to make them more appealing eheh !

Alle
ninaj
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ninaj »

I am sorry for the late posting! I like a genius thought that a black and white scanner would be fine to scan in my colored drawings. These were the best photographs I could take of my drawings. I really enjoyed it and hope to be able to do it again soon!
Here is a link to my blog where I have put it up!
Hope you guys enjoy it :)
http://ninajose.wordpress.com/
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Looks like everyone had a fun time...especially Dave working on the sly! Dave, your combined portraits is such a great idea! Nice work everyone. Thanks so much for sharing your day.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Nina..

Glad you enjoyed your first sketchcrawl and hope you come out to others in the future.

I like your bird sketches, :thumbup: they certainly look more like birds than mine. :lol:
Great sketches.

The conservatory was a bit daunting for a first sketchcrawl trip as there was so much to take in.

Dave
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Joan T... :wave:

Thanks for your kind comments. My original intent as I said was to sketch each of the group in action, but I was happy with the outcome.

Dave
ninaj
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ninaj »

Thanks Dave!
I had a blast that day, even though I was freaking out initially. Can't wait for the next one.
And thanks for the kind comments on my sketches. I really did like your paintings to be honest. They were really cool :)
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi Alyosha,
I liked your Chinese pavillion and the lanterns.
Dave, the Macaw with the black background is memorable...maybe it is the geometry, the angle of its head..
some birds move a lot and you just have to wait for them to come back to the same spot again..., the Emus in our crawl were costantly moving, I had trouble with them... but Bill O captured them nicely in our crawl...
Mark Fletcher Tallahassee FL USA
Canadiansketcher
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Canadiansketcher »

Hi fellow sketchers.
A friend and I went out sketching for the SketchCrawl on the 21st and I can't figure out how to upload my sketches. I looked at the post by "PaintMonster" that said "SketchCrawls - how to participate and how to post images" but when I <copy image address> I can't figure out where to paste it? How to connect it to this blog? Could somebody direct me with a link to where I go to upload/post? Many thanks!
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Canadiansketcher..

I sent you a PM about posting images here. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact me and we can work this out together.

Cheers
Dave
Tatie
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Tatie »

I like your sketches, Dave, especially the second one (did you make it with the technique of the "negative spaces"? It's so fun to see that you were "so North" but in a luxurious tropical place...as we were freezing in France :lol:
Canadiansketcher
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Canadiansketcher »

My first SKetchCrawl. A friend and I met at a café in Jordan, Ontario. This was my lunch. A lobster/shrimp salad on a croissant with salad.

A fellow diner at the café.

A view of the building across the street.

Thanks Dave for helping me figure this out!
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

cool sandwich sketch, Canadiansketcher! :D
Mark Fletcher Tallahssee Florida USA

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”