Washington DC, USA

January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Washington DC, USA

Post by Ctribastone »

Since it seems more people can join in, we'll be sketch-crawling on Sunday the 22nd in DC instead of Saturday. So, join us at the National Portrait Gallery, it opens at 11:30am but if you feel like braving the cold join in earlier and we can sketch the exterior.
https://www.facebook.com/events/350288754981311/

(FYI, its st the Chinatown Metro station)

-Christian
Ctribastone
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Washington DC, USA

Post by Ctribastone »

The Portrait Gallery doesn't open until 11:30, but if you feel like getting an earlier start I'll be outside the building somewhere sketching until then. Once 11:30 hits lets meet inside in the gallery courtyard.
jwinstead
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jwinstead »

I started off with a quick sketch of Vaquero, by Luis Jiménes, which sits outside the north entrance to the National Portrait Gallery. Since it didn't make it above freezing today, this was the only sketch I did outside:

Our group gathered together in the central courtyard, where we encountered The Richmond Indigenous Gourd Orchestra, a band that makes music with instruments made out of gourds. They had colorful costumes (including gourd hats), and played lively, gourd-themed music:

ImageImage

At one point, they noticed us sketching, and announced from the stage that they'd be by later to critique our work.

After the concert, we headed up into the galleries, which contain much more than just portraits. I focused on some sculptures: The Adams Memorial by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and "Rising Sun" and "Descending Night" by Adolph Weinman:

ImageImage

I also found an interesting view of the National Archives, down 8th street, from a window on one of the upper floors:

All in all, a fun day.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Looks like a fun place to sketch with the statue, artwork, and live music. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”