Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

January 21st 2012

Moderators: Gerald, PaintMonster

Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

Post by Raudy »

Hi everyone! I'm very happy to tell you that we have permission to sketch at Gari Melchers' Studio and Home at Belmont in Stafford County on Jan. 21st. The grounds are beautiful and if the weather is bad, we can sketch in Melchers' studio which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. We'll meet there at 10 a.m. and can stay until 3 or 4 p.m. I'm checking to see if we can bring our lunch and eat in the meeting room. If not, there's a restaurant at the bottom of the hill we can go to. Let me know if you plan to come. Looking forward to seeing all of you.
Raudy (Paula)
P.S. let me know if you need directions or if you have any other questions.
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

Post by Raudy »

New Information: The staff is eager to have us there to sketch. We may have visitors watching us. We are also allowed to take photographs. There's a lovely gift shop with limited art supplies. If you would like to take the guided tour of the house while you're there, there is a fee. We will be able to bring small chairs or stools to sit on in the studio. Don't bring lunch! We can go to Amy's Restaurant nearby.
asimalady
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by asimalady »

Can't wait Paula, thanks for setting this up.

Terri (asimalady)
melydia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by melydia »

I'm seriously considering this. What's the address of the studio?

Thanks!

--melydia
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

Hi everyone! We are still on for sketching at Belmont on Saturday. The weatherman is calling for rain so we may have to work inside. We can sit in the studio or, if it's not too cold, in the gazebo. When I was there on Monday, there were daffodils blooming on the hillside behind the gazebo!!! Please bring a small chair or stool if you need it. The location of Belmont is southern Stafford County just across the Rappahannock River from Fredericksburg. The address is 224 Washington Street, Fredericksburg VA. If you get lost feel free to call them at 540-654-1015 for directions. See you at 10. We can meet in the parking lot in front of the visitor center and discuss lunch. I'm suggesting we go to Amy Cafe at the bottom of the hill because it's convenient. We can always go back to Belmont for the afternoon if we want. Sketching on the grounds and in the studio will be free but if you want a tour of the house, which is wonderful by the way, there is a charge. If you're interested you can read more about the place at http://garimelchers.umw.edu/
Raudy (Paula)
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

So Mother Nature is conspiring against us today. I'm still going to try to make it after I make sure Belmont is open. Feel free to wait a while and come later if you want. I expect we'll call it quits after lunch but perhaps we can schedule another crawl at Belmont. Stay home if you're at all concerned about the roads. I don't want anyone to risk it. There will be other crawls.
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

Raudy's (Paula's) sketches:

The page of hands from some of Melcher's paintings were done from photos after I got home since I ran out of time at the studio.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Paula..

Looks like you had an enjoyable day.
Impressive sketches -I really liked the sketch of Melcher and the sketch of Mark Twain.
Cheers
Dave
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

Here are Jane's sketches. She chose to copy 2 of Melchers' paintings. You'll notice the stamp in the lower right corner. It's the logo of Melchers' house museum.
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

Here are some photos from our day:
Raudy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Raudy »

We had a nice write up in the local newspaper about our crawl. Check it out:
http://fredericksburg.com/sitemap/resul ... 2Farchives
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Congrats on being written up!!! That is an interesting place for a sketchcrawl. Thanks for sharing all your work.

Return to “34th World Wide SketchCrawl”