Manchester, CA [RESULTS]

Saturday July 23rd 2011
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Manchester, CA [RESULTS]

Post by gaelwriter »

Having computer problems, so took a while to post my sketches for this SketchCrawl. Sometimes these machines are vexing.

The American Historic Motorcycle Racing Association held a Trials & Motocross Racing meet near our town on the weekend of SketchCrawl Day, so I headed up the coastline for the events on Saturday. All of the motorcycles had to be pre-1974, so I imagine most of the riders had to be almost as good a mechanic as a rider. Here's a few of what I could manage to capture. The course is laid out over a cliffside bluff above the ocean, which I've shown in the background.

During the trials, a test of balance, agility, and oneness with the machine over a torturous course, the riders assembled in a pool at the start of the trial course, and were signaled forward one at a time. Here's a group I tried to pin down as they jostled about waiting to start:
I situated myself midway along the trial course and caught a few more lines for the sketch each time a new rider went by:
Finally, here's a sketch of one of the machines at a campsite, ready to race on Sunday. It's a 1939 Triumph 350 c.c.:

Thanks for looking. See you at the next Sketchcrawl.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Manchester, CA [RESULTS]

Post by CyberDave »

Gaelwriter..

Solo sketch trip? :(
Looks like you had an interesting trip though. Great subject matter for your sketches. :thumbup:
Great sketches, I love the way they catch the action. The first one with the bikes canted to the side and sliding. I can almost feel the bikes slide under the rider and kick up the dirt. :thumbup: :thumbup:
I like these type of sketches that draw in the viewer so they use their imagination. Great earth-tone colours to match. The viewer's eye slides into the sketch from the right, being drawn into the scene.

On the second sketch, the view shows the twisty difficult course. I can imagine the rider fighting for control while the watcher keeps a close eye on him. The viewer gets led into the scene along the twist hill climb, ending first on the rider and then the watching person. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sorry I ramble... I get drawn in by art that kind of tells a story, and like to feel like I am participating in the scene.

Fantastic work on the action sketches.

I also love the old Triumph bike. I think you captured the bulky roundedness of the old dear.

Look forward to seeing more.. hope to see your sketches for Sketchcrawl 33 in October.

Cheers
CyberDave
Vancouver, Canada
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Many thanks for the comments, CyberDave.
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Great reportage, gaelwriter ! This subject is one of the most difficult things to capture because they keep moving quite fast!
I can almost smell the exhaust fumes and hear the engine roar :thumbup:
Sophie Valenti
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Sophie Valenti »

Great capture, it is not easy to sketch that kind of scene ! You catched very well the moving and I like very much the 1939 Triumph ! Bravo for this solo sketchcrawl ! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :wave:
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

Hi Gael,
What a unique subject to sketch! I rode for about a decade. I liked your "machine at camp" best--brings back memories...
thanks for checking our drawings out at Tallahassee FL USA
Mark Fletcher
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Kumi, Sophie, and Mark, thanks so much for dropping by and leaving your wonderful comments!
Becco
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Becco »

this events is interesting.
I enjoy to see your sketches.So wonderful...! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Becco/Japan
BLOG

Return to “32nd World Wide SketchCrawl”