Vancouver, BC Canada

Saturday July 23rd 2011
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by CyberDave »

Is there anyone doing the Sketchcrawl 32 in Vancouver, BC?

If so could you please contact me and let me know who you are so that we can talk about specific location.
I have some ideas but am an absolute Newbie.
I am not an artist by profession but interested in participating.

Tuesday June 14, I went for a couple of rides around on the "Big Bus" on their hop-on hop-off ride around and played tourist :)
This was to check out some places of interest to sketch. The bus was a great idea, and I went round the complete route twice, once in the double-decker and once in the open-top. For anyone thinking of using the bus ride as a place to sketch from -- the double decker is a bit too bumpy for sketching on the bus but the open-top is possible as a sketching platform. Both are a good means of getting to drop off points instead of parking downtown. Note though that the Big Bus tour is $38 for the day but you can get on or off as many times as you like. A new bus picks up around the route every 15 minutes.

Anyway, I made some notes of places to visit directly based on the bus ride. I assume we will want somewhere that we have room to sit, have a plan B nearby in case of rain, access to public transportation, access to washrooms/toilets, etc.
Here are a few places I noted:
  • 1. Maritime Museum, Jerico Beach, Bard-on-the-Beach, Kitsilano Seawall, View English Bay, Burrard Bridge
  • 2. Denman and Davie intersection, Alexandra Park (Haywood Bandstand), Inukschuk, English Bay, People Sculptures, Oppenheimer Statue, Stanley Park Lawn Bowling Club, Fish House, Second Beach and waterpark, Seawall and view of West Vancouver and Kitsalano, Vancouver Pride Picnic
  • 3. Gas Town, Gassy Jack Statue, Steam Clock, Hudson House, Europe Hotel, Captain French Building, Dunn Building
  • 4. St. Andrew's Wesley Church, 1st Baptist Church, The Wall Centre, St Paul's Hospital
  • 5. Stanley Park Aquarium, Miniature Railway (Spirit-Catcher Train), Stanley Park Pavilion, Horse-drawn Tour, Malkin Bowl, Empress of Japan Figurehead, Vancouver Rowing Club, Robert Burns Statue, Lord Stanley Statue
  • 6. Granville Island, Granville Island Hotel, False Creek, Aquabus, Public Market
  • 7. Chinatown, Dr Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden, Millenium Gates
Any other suggestions?

I look forward to hearing from anyone that plans to participate.
David (CyberDave) Fletcher
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Vancouver, BC Canada

Post by CyberDave »

PS: I am a little biased as I live in the West-end of Vancouver .. therefore it is really convenient for me to go to Denman St - Davie St location. :) :wave:
There will be lots of people watching as it will get crowded on the beach here.
There are lots of colourful things to draw anyway.

Cyberdave
crazythalia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by crazythalia »

Sent you a note with my email - would be glad to set some locations up to meet people and draw!
donmcnulty
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by donmcnulty »

I am interested, I will send you an email.
Don McNulty
donmcnulty
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by donmcnulty »

Sorry, I can't make it after all, going out of town.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Don..
Sorry you are unable to make it. :sad:
I assume that as you are an avid sketcher, you will probably join with an out of town group wherever you end up on the July 23rd. Best of luck. :smile:

Cheers
Dave
shepaddles
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by shepaddles »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for posting. Would have loved to join you for some sketching, but I won't be in town. I live on one of BC small islands 2-3 weeks each month and in the West End for the remainder of the month. Hopefully, the next sketchcrawl will fall on a day when I am in Vancouver. Have a great time sketching.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Well.. it looks like the Sketchcrawl32 week-end has some tight competition as this is the same week-end as other sketching related events are on in Vancouver.
I am therefore going to recommend for those available for Sketchcrawl to participate with me around Chinatown. At this time I believe "crazythalia" Thalia is hoping to make it out. Everyone is welcome.

So I think our Location/Theme will be Chinatown.

I will be at the Chinatown Vancouver Millenium Gates (West Pender and Taylor Streets) at 9:00am on Saturday July 23rd.
I plan to start sketching the Millenium Gates ( the are a couple of nice benches outside the International Village Mall with a suitable view :wink: ) and after that move down to the corner of West Pender St to Carrall St to sketch the Sam Kee Building (narrowest building at 4.5 ft ground level, 6 ft second level. If time permits I would like to capture sketch of the the zodiac mosaic, the West Han Dynasty Bell (in Shanghai Alley) and other Chinatown sights and sites, but this might be a little overly ambitious :smile:

Others may be interested in the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Gardens nearby. If anyone is interested I have a list of interesting Chinatown places and things, just send me a message and I will gladly email what I have.

When we meet we can decide if we wish to set up a wrap up at end of day (where and when) to exchange info and see each others sketches.

Hope to see many people come out.

CyberDave
sketchalina
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by sketchalina »

Thanks for posting. I'd love to join you! See you at the gates at 9.
crazythalia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by crazythalia »

WHEE! Forum absence!
I cant' make it for 9AM but will surely be able to join in later. Are you guys gonna plant yourselves in a coffee shop at some point around lunch time for a break that I could meet up with you (Two so far? Or more?)

As well, if there are people interested in taking a different route who want to cross paths at some point with the chinatown routers and see what's what, maybe that could happen if there is a set location where crawlers will be taking breaks/meeting up.

T
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

"Van Van" the Vancouver Chinatown Mascot now flies on the Chinatown Banners.

I still intend to start at Millenium Gates at 9:00am to get an early start, but suggest that we meet up at 12:00 noon for lunch at "Everything Cafe" - LOCATED AT 75 EAST PENDER STREET
Between Carrall and Columbia, beside the Wing Sang building and across from the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Gardens.
http://www.everythingcafe.ca

It looks clean, lets hope not too crowded. It apparently closes at 5pm Saturdays - probably because of the Chinatown Night Market in the street.

Anyone have any other suggestions, please post.

Dave
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Please find attached images of Chinatown map and legend for items of interest.
Meeting points:
9:00am Millenium Gates (West Pender at Taylor)
12:00 noon Everything Cafe (75 East Pender)
End-of-day Meeting spot to be determined

I hope this helps.

Lesson learned:
Next time I ask for my Sketchcrawl notice to be posted at the art store, I will check afterwards where it was posted.
Yes it was posted on the bulletin board by the entrance door, BUT it was at ANKLE height. :shock: :eh: :problem:
Great if you are a small dog or very small child, but not so noticeable to adults.
This might account for the lack of response to the poster. :(

Dave
markfletcher
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by markfletcher »

cool map legend idea, CD!
I am working on a map illustration for SC State Parks now...
Funny-- the post at ankle/small dog height: I didn't know small children or dogs of any size could read :lol:
Cheers! from some smart-aleck in Florida
Mark Fletcher, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
"Don't Hurry, Be Happy!" = copyrighted trademark
https://sites.google.com/prod/view/mark-fletcher

Return to “32nd World Wide SketchCrawl”