Phoenix, Arizona, USA [RESULTS]

Saturday October 16 2010
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Phoenix, Arizona, USA [RESULTS]

Post by crgcas »

EDIT: Looks like our pre-crawl thread is now our results thread now also so i'll post the banner here but the sketches start the end on page 2!

October - hard to say but might work for an outdoor crawl. Any suggestions? Maybe the friendship garden or Mossgate's suggestion from 3 crawls ago or so?

I am also always up for either Zoo!

Can't wait
Last edited by crgcas on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Post by ChaosInColor »

I'm also wondering about the Arizona Museum of Natural History. They've got cool dinosaurs! I sent them a note to see if we'd even be allowed to draw there, if not for this crawl then maybe some other time.
http://www.azcama.com/museums/mesa_southwest.html

Annie
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Phoenix Zoo sounds good to me. By the middle of October we should be having decent temperatures again. What is the second zoo option? :eh:
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Annie: Awesome suggestion - never been there but am always up for dinosaurs, did they replay to your question?

Mossgate: The next closest is Wildlife World Zoo- a little further but they have an aquarium (indoors and air conditioned) and it is more spread out and less crowded. I take the kids there pretty often. There is also a great restaraunt with a glass wall looking in to a shark tank! Did SketchCrawl 17 there before the aquarium was there: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2794#p10233

Craig
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

Finally got a reply - the Natural History museum allows sketching but no painting (including no water colors). So that doesn't sound great considering that crgcas likes to do water colors. I'm a little bit concerned about temps in October, but it could go either way. I will await the wisdom of the masses. :-)

Annie
LiveCheapMakeArt
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by LiveCheapMakeArt »

Hi Phoenix!
I used to live in Willo and loved to go sketching at the Botanical Gardens in the early morning. So lovely!

-Rosemary

Visit my website:
http://www.livecheapmakeart.com
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

The World Zoo in Litchfield Park sounds interesting. I have never been there. Considering how the heat seems to refuse to go away maybe this would be a better option than the Phoenix Zoo. Do you know how much student admission is?
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

Ouch! For the price I'd probably take a bunch of photos and then draw from them at home...

http://www.wildlifeworld.com/visit/hour ... sion.shtml
Daytime Admission to Zoo & Aquarium
Adults: $27.50 + tax
Kids 3 to 12 Years: $14.25 + tax

For comparison, here's the Phx Zoo:
Adults $18
Children Ages 3-12 $9

I thought downtown Tempe was fun. Can anyone suggest another shady downtown area? There's the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert. Or maybe we should roadtrip up north. :-)
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

If this weather stays miserable, I might just opt to do my sketchcrawling around my yard this time. There is plenty to sketch. Maybe this sketchcrawl could be a mix of locations? Don't see any consensus of opinion so far. :|
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

I'm a little leery on the price of the WW zoo, but if that's where the group wants to go then we'll go too. It is a neat place!

Annie
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Too bad this sketchcrawl isn't closer to Halloween. There are going to be some interesting events for El Dia de Los Muertos at the Botanical Garden toward the end of October. Something that would inspire a feeling of Autumn would be nice dispite the fact that the weather really isn't cooperating. Feel the same way about the World zoo, but this would be motivation for me to see it. I don't imagine everyone could afford it though unless there are some discounts that would help.
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

We could do a pumpkin patch. Here's a neat little farm (I haven't been there in person):
http://www.mothernaturesfarm.com/index.html
Mossgate
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Mossgate »

Annie, I looked at the website. There is nothing on their calendar for the 16th. They have a store but sell pumpkins which they don't grow themselves.....no fields of pumpkins. Hay Craig, do you know anything about Mother Natures Farm in Gilbert? There are some animals but don't know how close you are allowed to get to them. :eh:

What about the Phoenix Zoo? Maybe cooler weather is here to stay til next spring. One could always throw (sketch) in a pumpkin in the background. :wink:
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

My people are getting nervous so I'm going to invite them to the Phoenix Zoo for Sketchcrawl. Everyone here is welcome to join us. How about 9am by the gift shop?

Annie
ChaosInColor
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ChaosInColor »

Here's the link for prices, maps, and other info:
http://www.phoenixzoo.org/

Return to “29th World Wide SketchCrawl”