Wichita, Kansas USA [RESULTS]

Saturday July 31 2010
CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Wichita, Kansas USA [RESULTS]

Post by CrowTalk »

We had a VERY hot day for the Wichita Sketchcrawl--100F! Thanks to Melissa, Doug, Alice, and Richard for participating in the heat.

We spent several hours in the morning at Naftzger Park, a small, lovely park in the heart of downtown Wichita. It was interesting to see how many different groups of people visited the park while we were there--children being photographed by a professional photographer with hovering parents nearby, a wedding party, dogs and people out for a stroll, the dispossessed staying in the shade on a brutally hot day.

Naftzger Park is next to Eaton Place, where Prohibitionist Carry Nation vandalized the bar and destroyed a painting by John Noble in 1900. Across the street from the park is The Old Mill Tasty Shop, the best place to get a reuben sandwich in Wichita as well as delicious treats from the soda fountain.

In the afternoon, a few of us visited the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum. One small display of the Dockum Drugstore Sit-In catches my attention since I'm still amazed that the first successful lunch counter sit-in for civil rights in the U.S. took place in Wichita in 1958.

Other exhibits in the museum tell stories about Wichita and US history. We saw Native American artifacts, displays on Wichita's early history, Wichita's business history, and so on.

Here's a Flickr set of our sketchcrawl. We'll add images of Melissa's and Alice's finished paintings later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crowtalk2010/sets/
CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Re: Wichita, Kansas USA [RESULTS]

Post by CrowTalk »

Alice's painting!

universitaria
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by universitaria »

Beautiful painting! :D
alice
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by alice »

obrigada (-o?), universitaria! :)
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Gorgeous sketch--everything balanced to perfection.
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Post by m9fred »

Beautiful pavillon, full of atmosphere and perfect use of colors!
I also like your Photos on Flickr. I'm eager to see the sketches of your companions.

Manfred
CrowTalk
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by CrowTalk »

I got to see Melissa again at Sketchcrawl 30, so I can finally add her picture from Sketchcrawl 28. Since July's sketchcrawl, new development plans have begun for one of the stores in Melissa's painting. The owner of the store passed away last week. Melissa's picture preserves history.

Return to “28th World Wide SketchCrawl”