Los Angeles, CA, USA [Result]

Saturday July 31 2010
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Los Angeles, CA, USA [Result]

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi Everyone,

I'll be out of town for Urban Sketching Symposium in Portland, Oregon (http://pdx2010.urbansketchers.org/) for July 31 sketchcrawl. Please pick a location for Los Angeles crawl - I'll be sketching in Portland with you! :P
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Los Angeles Sketchcrawl

Post by kmillustration »

Alright guys time to plan the new venue for this sketchcrawl. Wilson, Vivian, and I were talking the other night and we thought Hollywood and Highland might be fun, or Glendale Galleria/Americana at Brand.

A friend of mine, Lesley, some of you may have met her at the Central Market/Bradbury Sketchcrawl we had a little while back, is also having a Farewell BBQ this same day from 12-5 in Burbank. So at some point I would like to get over there to see her. So selfishly I would prefer to keep the sketchcrawl up in North Hollywood/Burbank/Glendale/ even Los Feliz area. :P

I don't think we have done the LA Zoo yet either. But I don't know how many people would be interested.

I'm really up for just about anything so if anyone has other suggestions please feel free to add. Also what time did you guys want to start? 10/11a? For anyone who has never been to these places LA Zoo and Glendale Galleria offers free parking. Hollywood and Highland (H&H) has $2 parking for 4hrs with validation or $10 max, but you could also carpool or ride the metro to cut costs. Personally I'm a big fan of H&H, tons of crazy people/tourists, cool architecture and tons of neat things within walking distance. :]
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Thanks for mentioning Hollywood & Highland - it's been mentioned before as a potential place to go, but we've never sketchcrawled there before as far as I know. We've been to the Grove and Americana; they are good locations, too.
wswain
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by wswain »

Hollywood and Highland still sounds most exciting to me--as Kendra said, it's right at a subway stop-- $3.00 tickets round trip. It's really easy to use.
viviannguyen
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by viviannguyen »

Hi! I'm favor of Hollywood & Highland too! Hope this works for everyone...otherwise, I'm pretty open :)
See you soon!
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Dear all LA crawlers,

I am moving up north for a new job and wouldn't be able to join you guys in LA anymore.
It's great to get to meet many of you wonderful and talented artists.

SF isn't too far away, I'm sure we will get to meet up and bump into each other in the future!!

Happy drawing!

Cheers,

Alina :D
bruce73473
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bruce73473 »

What time do you plan to meet? I'm coming from out of town. Where is a good place to park?

Bruce
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

Here's a copy/pasted message I sent out to a Facebook group: let me know if you have any more questions

28th World Wide Sketchcrawl
Saturday, July 31, 2010
----------

http://www.hollywoodandhighland.com/
Lots of people/crazy characters, architecture, restaurants, and in general just a lot packed within a small distance

TIME: 11 am - ? Meet at the fountain. Come and go as you please, stay as long or little as you would like.

PARKING:
* $2 parking for 4hrs with validation
- OR-
* $10 max
OTHER OPTIONS:
* Public Transportation
* Subway stop right at H&H + is $3 round trip

LA Sketchcrawl Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5364&start=0

----------
If this is the first time you have ever heard of Sketchcrawl, every two months there is a date set for anyone interested (artistic or not) to get out, experience life, and draw from it. Be that with a group in your area or go solo to explore. As you can see by checking out the forum there will be people drawing from all over the world. And if you look at forums from the previous Sketchcrawls you will see that many people are at different skill levels and that there are a lot of kind and supportive participants.

So don't be afraid! Come out, make some new friends, and have fun. This is an open invite to ANYONE interested, artistic or not. Bring your friends, bring your family, and bring some paper. :]

Hope to see you there!
- Kendra

-----------
Don't forget to sign up for CTN-X
10% discount off passes by using this code: CHADX10
http://www.ctnanimationexpo.com/

Hope everyone has a safe trip and lots of fun at Comic-Con!
d_art
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by d_art »

Ah.... that shouldn't be too hard to get to. There's a metrorail station right there. No worries about parking if you use the rail. $5 for all day metrorail use.
d_art
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by d_art »

That was a really fun Crawl! I was overwelmed by everyone's support and amazing talents.
I have and continue to learn a lot from you guys. Thanks to Kendra and Viv for rounding everyone up.
Great job!

Here's my excerpt from my sketchbook for Hollywood & Highland.

csgirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by csgirl »

It was great meeting all you guys! Had a great time, here is are some of my sketches. And I blogged it here with photos: http://stringfellowart.com/blog/2010/08 ... hcrawl-28/

d_art
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by d_art »

Hi Megan,
where do you buy your sketchbook? I like the texture of the paper and the way the paint bleeds into it. I may be shopping around to try out some new sketchbooks soon.
Win
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

d_art: Great people drawings. I love all the figures from the high-up perspectives.
csgirl: Nice compositions and observations. Good expressions in all the people too!

It's neat seeing your different approaches to color.
csgirl
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by csgirl »

Win,
I was buying them at Aaron brothers, they are Pen and Ink brand, very similar to moleskine. BUT I think ABros might have just stopped carrying them, :( its worth checking though. http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tab ... t,UnitCost
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Los Angeles, CA, USA [Result]

Post by kmillustration »

I wasn't sure how to shrink the images so here they are super big haha. :]

Ink Sketches and watercolor done on site (Photoshop color added)

Photos:

Thanks everybody for coming out! I had a great time.
- Kendra

Return to “28th World Wide SketchCrawl”