Bryan/College Station [Results]

Saturday May 15 2010
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bryan/College Station [Results]

Post by granny c »

I thought I had my results posted, but the pictures didnt' show up. And the whole thing disappeared. Trying again! :thumbup:
We planned to meet at Wolf Pen Creek Park on Saturday, but, Friday night, thunderstorms moved in and the rain was still pouring Saturday morning. So, we went to the alternate place, the new IHOP on the Bypass. No one else showed up, so my family had a leisurely breakfast there. It was an extremely popular place with a line waiting to get in. Some people just left and went on down the road to find another place to eat. People were still coming when we left.
My family was embarrassed that I was drawing, but they should be used to it by now, because I always do!
I started with a title page, then sketched my orange juice and part of the container with syrup pitchers. I had strawberry pancakes, toast, 2 egg yolks, 2 little sausages, and hash browns. My daughter had an omlet and fancy coffee, and my grandson had a cheeseburger. But he didn't want to eat, as he doesn't like to eat in the morning. Makes his stomach hurt. Me too!

The Balloon Lady arrived just in time. She was very colorful and interesting to talk to. And she likes to paint! A little boy at another table was being shifted from parent to parent while they waited for their order. He finally got the straws to use as drumsticks and was having a big jam session, beating on the dishes and the table with the straws! Finally, the Balloon Lady came by and made him a toy to play with until their food came. I wondered what happend to crayons and coloring pages and puzzles to keep kids occupied. I had my sketchbook to occupy my time, but poor kids who didn't have anything!
She made the tiger for my grandson that is in the photo. Look for her in restaurants around the B/CS area. She said that she goes to several places.

Since no one else showed up, we went about our normal routine of doing errands. We were sitting in the auto repair area of Lithia and I was impressed with the darkness, a little light shining through an open door, a pickup and van with the hoods up, and the contrast of the bright red orange posts and fenced area.
A child had pulled a seatbelt down from the back ceiling of the van and we couldn't get it to go back up. So, we stopped by Lithia to get it fixed. And they also needed to show us how to work the DVD player!

We saw these two little girls, each holding the hand of a parent, and walking with their umbrellas in the parking lot at Target. They were cute with their umbrellas and pink tights. I remembered how much I loved my parasol and unbrella when I was a little girl. I felt so glamorous and grown up as I walked with my grandfather.

As we went to Walmart, we were impressed with this cloud. It seemed to be the back side of the storm, moving south and east and leaving the western part of the sky, a clear blue. Too late for us to enjoy going outdoors to sketch, though. This was late afternoon.

I thought this was dramatic, with the church steeple and cross in front of the end of the rain clouds.

I had hoped to go to the Starlight Concert at Wolf Pen Creek Ampitheatre featuring Roger Creager, but the family didn't want to go. I thought it might be cancelled due to saturated ground, but it went on. This was as close as I got as my daughter drove past. Instead, I got to go home and watch "Last of the Summer Wine", "My Family", and "Dr. Who" on tv, while I ate a sandwich. I also worked on adding some color with watercolors to my sketches.
I used a 10"x7" Strathmore Field Watercolor sketchbook, which alternates a sheet of drawing paper with a sheet of watercolor paper. I also used a Pitt pen, and a travel set of Winsor Newton watercolors.
Looking forward tothe next Sketch Crawl and I hope we can get a group next time.
Cecelia
http://cecelia-throughmyeyes.blogspot.com/
If the photos don't work this time, you can see them on Flickr, or they will be on my blog, later.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Bryan/College Station [Results]

Post by gustavo »

Hi granny c,

I have fixed your images. The URL you included was for the main Flickr page. The fix was to replace it with the image location/image address.

Code: Select all

Example:
Main Flickr page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9484521@N02/4616259293/in/set-72157624082295066/

Image location
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4616259293_72b14498de.jpg
Looks like you were really busy. Thank you for taking the time to write about your day in addition to the sketches and photos, and of course thank you for also sharing what materials you use. I know people including myself sometimes wonder what people use.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

I really enjoyed your sketchcrawl sketches and photos, as well as your narrative. Sorry for the rainout, but you did a great job anyway. We don't have "balloon ladies" at our IHOP. :-( I love the little girls with the umbrellas.
bh yoo
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by bh yoo »

Drawings are interesting, especially the charming lady. :thumbup:
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Thanks you so much for helping, Seeker/Gus! I could not figure out what I was doing wrong.
And thank you for the comments.
Our IHOP does not have a full time Balloon Lady. This is just an enterprising young lady who goes around to several restaurants here, I guess on her own. This is the first time we had seen her. I thought it was a great idea. And she was certainly colorful!
I thought about, when I taught my art students how to do face painting. Those kind of things could be extra income, especially in these hard times when so many people can't find jobs. The Balloon Lady had a design painted on her cheeks, which made me think of that.
Jenny Lam
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Jenny Lam »

Great colors. And that's a lot of balloons :shock:
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Post by m9fred »

Vibrant colors and beautiful drawings. My favorite is the view of Wolf Pen Creek.
It seems that a great part of the sketchers had to face very unpleasent weather. In Vienna there has been a real cloudburst the day before sketchcrawl and we had to work till 9:00 PM to get the water out of the basement.
Great work, thank you for sharing!

Manfred
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Brilliant sketches granny c :D Rainy day sketches can be so colorful and lively when they are drawn by you. The kids in yellow look so cute and I love the last one especially.

Return to “27th World Wide SketchCrawl”