San Francisco, CA, USA [RESULTS]

Saturday May 15 2010
Goro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

San Francisco, CA, USA [RESULTS]

Post by Goro »

Great day, great crawl. A bit cold in the shade but it was nice to see all the sf crawlers.
I did some doodles with my iPad today. I had to stay in the shade but other than that it was working pretty good.
All paintings are painted in "brushes" with the pogo stylus.

and here is the progress video of the last one.
Mr Dewhurst
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: San Francisco, CA, USA [RESULTS]

Post by Mr Dewhurst »

Love the Nieman Marcus store! Those palm trees are great.
cahusslein
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by cahusslein »

Had an amazing sketchcrawl today. Started at the ferry building. It was pretty chilly in the shade. I painted the "Bridge & Umbrella" while my husband scouted out where others were drawing. We then went over to Justin Herman, Embarcadaro 4. Don found a great place for me to draw. I had a wonderful view of the whole front of the Ferry building and the Bay Bridge. I also became acquainted with a young man named Cody. He was in the city with his parents to see "Peter Pan". He came over to watch me draw 3 times before he had to leave. What a wonderful little gentleman.

janabouc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by janabouc »

I really enjoyed the sketchcrawl today! We sketched at the crowded Ferry Building and then got a birds eye view of it from the top of the Hyatt Regency and then wandered further north and west.
On the way:
At the Ferry Building:
Birds Eye View of the Ferry Building from the Hyatt Regency:
From the cable car turnaround on Market:
Victoria's Secret:
sketchcat
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
United States of America

Post by sketchcat »

This is fabulous. Love what brushes will do on the IPAD! What is the pogo stylus?
pascal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by pascal »

I like very much ( especially victoria's secret ) Bravo
martinepittet
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by martinepittet »

Well done ! Thanks for sharing sketches that really render the city atmosphere !
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

Lovely day for a SketchCrawl--the city was absolutely sparkling!
A SketchCrawl first, Goro--sketches on an iPad. Bravo!! Very beautiful drawings, and done with such innovation.
The non iPad illustrations are quite lovely as well. Funny, I saw that same "Victoria's Secrets" display, and I thought "should I draw that?" I love the fact that you did! :thumbup:
I always like to start the day off by sketching Enrico, and this day he had his darling daughter with him! Saw lots of baby strollers--it seems like those are becoming bigger and more high tech...like SUVs of the sidewalk. Then I got too close to the Vaillancourt fountain, which never fails to draw me to it like a moth to a flame. I don't know what it is about that thing.
Then a sketch of one of my favorite San Francisco buildings: the Ferry Building. And yes, there's part of the fountain again.
Eventually ended up in Union Square, where the final meeting place was to be. First thing to catch my eye was the very odd-shaped Levi's building. There was also a big art sale/show in the Square. That was fun sketching pictures of people selling pictures. Made an attempt at the statue atop the monument in the center of the Square.
The St. Francis hotel, and another one of those hi-tech baby strollers. This one looked like it was packing heat. Commanded by little infant tank commanders.
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

Well that was a fun day skeching! Nice to sketch with you Jana, your results are great! I really like the colours. Good to meet some of the other urban sketchers at union square too, it was very educational! I want to go out and try all different pens and papers and styles now. John: sorry i didn't get to speak to you, your work is really good, esp the one of the ferry building!
Here is what I did:
Sketching my can of fanta on the amtrak train down there. Wow, the amtrak tickets from davis to SF are expensive now aren't they! They seem to have gone up.

ImageImage
It all started outside the Ferry Building in the grey early day. I did try to draw that bloke playing the clarinet but it was so poor so I stopped. Actually the real reason was that the clarinetist was getting irritating, playing half of twinkle twinkle little star before yelling at disinterested tourists, then wowing people with like, two lines of old macdonald... dude. Please.

As the sketchcrawlers began to disperse, I went accompanied by Jana and Sonia and thought it'd be a good idea to get into the Hyatt hotel and look down from above. We went all the way to the regency club at the top where they very nicely allowed us to sketch from the window. The sun was coming out too, so I was able to use colours other than light grey.

It's such a nice view up california street that you have to draw it! And there was a bike to draw as well.

I like Schroeder's on front street, an intersting place to sketch. It's cool sketching inside too, but they were closed.

The rest of the sketches from financial district up to union square. It was getting cold! I'd come down from Davis where it was warm. I knew it would be cooler in the city so I brought a hoodie. But it felt colder than normal. great to meet some other sketchers though, so mnay different styles.

and so I finished off by stopping into Eddie Rickenbacker's on 2nd street to warm up, draw an old bike and have a beer, before schlepping back to davis.
roberto malfatti
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by roberto malfatti »

Pogo, you're a great artist :clap:
kevinh
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by kevinh »

Here a few of my sketches from yesterday's SketchCrawl. I had a great time meeting some new fellow sketchers.
It sure was crowded... I wondered if it was always like that in the Ferry Building (it was my first visit)

The kids sure liked this guy. I bet there will be a few more sketches of him.

More fellow sketchers

...and the Ferry Building. Unfortunately, I had to leave before the meeting time. I hope to see and meet more of you next time!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Good day out there as always ... so great to see everyone's work at the end of the day ... and here ...
Here's my stuff from yesterday. All people drawing for some reason ...

First page ... Ronnie and I sat at Coppola's cafe and we had a great view on this character (bottom page).

I was pretty unhappy with the drawing of my co-worker Duncan at the ferry building, so mixed it up a bit with a Mercedes ... don't ask me why ... but the result is more passable.

A few more

I was having a hard time composing the page yesterday, rusty ... but I liked single drawings here in there ...
I liked these three sitting on muni on the way back home for example ... and the guy taking a photo had a great flow to his pose ...

That was it for the day ...
That last night I watercolored some pages I hadn't got a chance to get to yet, here's a bit of one from a chinatown crawl from last year ...
focused on a little drawing I like ... a crawler sketching away ... the old guy with arms crossed behind him was fun too ... :)

Coool .... fun crawl everybody! Look forward to see more ....
and Will see you all July 31st ...
WHere? that is the question ...

Enrico
milkgap
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by milkgap »

Awesome sketches posted. Pete, I love your results! I'm also glad to see someone else using Brushes, it's really great to draw people on trains and buses because people don't suspect you are drawing them as much, you just look like you're texting or something. I just got my Pogo a few weeks ago, and I love it. This crawl I kept it traditional, though:

The Blue Bottle Coffee Kiosk, of course I had to fill my thermos:

musicians at the Farmer's Maret:

In the Financial District:

Same spot as last sketch, this guy was too great to not sketch:

Made it to Union Square:

crawlers looking at each others' sketches:
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Goro
wowow nice digital sketches and thank you for the iPad Painting movie!! The number of those who will sketch with iPad in the future will increase.

cahusslein
beautiful watercolor! I like first one :)

janabouc
nice report with watercolor! yeah yeah I know 3rd sketches place! I went to the place 3or 4 years ago! ahhh I want to back!!

splinesmith
hehehe I like your toon style sketches very much!!! especially lower one is my favorite!

pete
Just Awesome!! your sketches are really nice as always! it's seems like picturebook! I want to buy one!! hehehe!!

kevinh
nice quick style! lower one is neat!!

enrico
Kawaii sketches as always Enrico-san! I like 3rd picture very much. sun-glasses guy is my favorite!

milkgap
nice life drawing! I especially like first and 4th one ! nice!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

wow, there's a lot of wonderful stuff on here I dont know where to begin. Wonderful job EVERYONE! :]

- Kendra

Return to “27th World Wide SketchCrawl”