Drawings and tales from november 21st 2004
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Last Minute

Post by overvision »

Howdy fellow SketchCrawlers,

NEWBIE ALERT!!

I apologize for posting this TWICE. This was originally posted as a 'new subject' but it should have been posted in the "Los Angeles" section (which I just did).
I suppose that it's too late to delete the original thread, so I'm afraid we're stuck with it.

Anyway, I hadn't really planned on participating because Sunday was a superbusy day, I couldn't get free until after 8:00 PM. Around 8:30 I decided to go ahead and get off my butt, so I rode my bike around Downtown L.A. but came up empty-handed. Just too darn dark!
So I decided to catch the subway to Hollywood & Vine. On the way I spied this intriguing scene. I regret painting it in my cheap sketch pad, instead of my good 'watercolor' pad!

After arriving to Hollywood & Vine, I rode my bike up to highland and discovered that "The Incredibles" movie was starting within 10 minutes at the luxurious El Capitan theater, so I took advantage of the moment and saw one of the coolest movies of the millennium!

Catching the subway back to Union Square I just couldn't find a suitable scene, so on an interim stop I jumped off and ran ahead to a different car where I found a suitable subject surrounded by decent abstract shapes. This was completed on nice 'watercolor' paper just under the wire, around midnight.

Finally arriving home (Union Square) I exited the train and caught this guy nodding out. I decided to sketch him even though it was well after the midnight deadline.
Before finishing we were chased out of the train station by security guards so I had to complete the sketch in my studio. I felt this dude had an interesting face and body language.

Well, that's about it.
Thanks Enrico for igniting us into action to fulfill our dreams!

O
Last edited by overvision on Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
odyr
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by odyr »

very cool work, my friend. you´re right: the last one has a wonderful posture, a good angle. and you´re have a eye for shoes, uh? :) very good.

Post by Guest »

Beautiful! Did you do the painting on site as well?
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

nice works. just great.
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by overvision »

odyr wrote:very cool work, my friend. you´re right: the last one has a wonderful posture, a good angle. and you´re have a eye for shoes, uh? :) very good.
LOL, thanx odyr --
I laugh because I drew that 'whole guy' just to get the shoes but the security guards chased us out before I could really analyze them.
They were actually much more interesting than I could capture.

They were some sort of fancy new-styled gymshoes with shiny black rubber toes. I suppose if I had the nerve, I could've just asked him where he got them and purchased a pair for myself but as soon as he woke up I made myself vanish in plain sight. You 'know' that trick?

Oh well, bold on paper -- scaredy-cat in real life. :roll:

O
Last edited by overvision on Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by overvision »

Anonymous wrote:Beautiful! Did you do the painting on site as well?
Thanx littlefish and 'Guest'!

I painted them all on the subway train except for the last one.
And there was NOTHING graceful about it. I literally turned into Jerry Lewis trying to juggle watercolour tubes falling to the floor of the subway train, while spilling my water and attempting to hold my bike steady as I sat painting....phew! :o
It suppose it's pretty hysterical to witness.

The final sketch was painted within the subway station itself after exiting the train. I was about to leave, kicking myself for not finding anymore subjects, when I saw that kid sleeping right up under my nose. What more could I ask for.

The station was pretty much empty, so I sketched uninterrupted for about 15 minutes before a security guard approached.
I begged the guard to give me 5 more minutes to lay in some tone. He laughed and said I could have 1 minute -- he actually gave me 3.
It was a cool compromise. 8)
I finished that one up back in my studio.

btw, Happy Birthday Littlefish!

O
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

:oops: Thanks overvision. You are the 5th person said that to me. and that makes my day :)

Hope see more work from you! They are just great!
The Cure

Post by The Cure »

Those are really cool! The first painting is my favorite, but all of them are wonderful. People that can paint like that amaze me, especially those that do it in a moving subway car :D.

-ERS
overvision
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by overvision »

The Cure wrote:Those are really cool! The first painting is my favorite, but all of them are wonderful. People that can paint like that amaze me, especially those that do it in a moving subway car :D.

-ERS
Thanx Cure,

I started not to even post that sketch, because it was such a complex scene that I wasn't really sure if I was successful depicting it.
The challenge of sketchcrawl is the perfect excuse to do what we should be doing all year round!

O
Seian
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Seian »

Great watercolors. I expecially like the angle of the last one.

And I know what you mean about regretting not using better paper. It's often enough that I end up with something I really like on an envelope or back of a flyer and it isn't fair. ;)
baerd
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

regrettably...

Post by baerd »

...for some strange reason I cannot seem to view your images overvision...
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Nice stuff Overvision, you captured people's posture and character so well.

E

Return to “1st World Wide SketchCrawl day!”