Boise, Idaho [Results]

Saturday February 27 2010
lisacj
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Boise, Idaho [Results]

Post by lisacj »

Feb. 27 marked the first SketchCrawl Boise, Idaho has seen in a long time. We were greeted with a refreshing rain shower early in the morning. So we were glad that we were sketching indoors. We met at the newly remodeled State Capitol Building. Which was so full of eye candy I could have stayed there all day drawing, needless to say I will have to return to draw some more in the future. After we were finished at the Capitol we headed over to 8th Street for some lunch and more sketching. After lunch I joined our honorary photographer in the back allies and took photos of the wonderful textures and graffiti art.

We are looking forward to May 15th!!

sketched from the top steps of the Capitol looking down Capitol Blvd towards the Train Depot. I live in the neighborhood behind the Depot.

The natural light in the building is amazing.
I'll post my other sketches from this day soon.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Boise, Idaho [Results]

Post by mhimeswc »

Terrific sketches! That second one looks like it took a while. :-)
Jenny Lam
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Jenny Lam »

Nice sketches! I like how you incorporated your writing into the images.
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

I love the diverse views of America we get from the crawl. Maybe I'll be back home in Kentucky for a SketchCrawl one day.

The details and perspective in the second image are great! I really like how you handled the colors. Did you only use watercolors, or is there something else mixed in?
lisacj
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lisacj »

Thanks All!!!
I drew them all with india ink, then watercolor, the Column image I added a touch of colored pencil after I got home. And yes, it DID take awhile. I was ready to move onto something new by the time I was done with it.
lisacj
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lisacj »

I have a few more to post from the day.
A bit of history, and the reason I was so intrigued by these wooden busts.

It all began in 1887 with the completion of the Territorial Capitol. Aroung the perimeter of the bulding Ash an dElm were planted. In 1891 President Benjamin Harrison visited Idaho and planted a Water Oak tree in front of the Southwest corner of the building. In 1903 President Theodore Roosevelt visited Idaho and planted a Rock Sugar Maple tree next to the Water Oak tree. In 1911 President William Howard Taft visited an dplanted an Ohio Buckeye tree next to the Rock Sugar Maple tree. In order to complete the current Capitol Building, the original Territorial Capitol Building was removed.

These trees graced the Capitol grounds for 120 years. In 2006 a decision was made to remodel the current Capitol Building and add new underground wings. This being the case, the trees would have to be removed. Representative Max C. Black, with the help of many other volunteers, salvaged the trees and distributed the wood to Idaho artisans. these artisans were able to diip a piece of the wood for themselves, in turn they were asked to make an item to be donated back to the Capitol building. As you walk through the Capitol you will see the amazing abilities of the Idaho wood artisans who took part in the wonderful project.

Sketch from our lunch at BitterCreek Ale House. No matter where I sat at the table the cat's head was missing... sorry kitty. ;)

I'm really looking forward to May 15th!!
briantbear
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by briantbear »

Great Job! Look forward to seeing more.

Return to “26th World Wide SketchCrawl”