Uppsala, Sweden [RESULTS]

Saturday February 27 2010
Erikun
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Uppsala, Sweden [RESULTS]

Post by Erikun »

So I braved the weather and went out in Uppsala to do some sketching. Started off with lunch with my brother and then headed off in search of something to draw. I decided to head to the Uppsala University Building, a magnificent building built in the 19th century. Its usually closed on weekends, but I figured it was worth a shot. Luck was with me as it was open in preparation for a concert and I walked up to the second floor where there are a number of casts of classic greek and roman sculptures. I figured some quick cast drawing would be a good loosening up excercise.

I then began drawing the hallway with the sculptures, but had hardly drawn a line before a janitor called out that they were closing. Drat.

Outside it was rather unpleasant. Around 0 degrees celcius and plenty of snow and mist. I saw a tree in the park outside the university building that was supported by two large metal crutches and decided it'd make a good drawing. In the background you can see the cathedral and the roof of Gustavianum, the university museum.
I cheated a bit, it was actually drawn in pencil, but I cleaned it up with a pen once I got back home.

I was sitting on a bench while drawing, it was more or less completely covered in snow, and I was sitting on the back rest with my feet on the bench proper.

Walking back I was feeling exasperated, the unpleasant weather made drawing rather hard. As I was walking back towards the river I saw this old pump. Its at the place where St: Erik's well is. According to legend King Erik of Sweden was beheaded here in 1160 and where his head fell a spring suddenly appeared. The cast iron pump currently on the site was built in the 19th century.

I wanted to draw the ducks that were massing on the river ice just above the old mill. but then it started raining, and I decided to head back home.
notnottana
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Uppsala, Sweden [RESULTS]

Post by notnottana »

Really like the 2nd one, with the main subject with bold lines, and the yonder building just blur ...
Great
flevolaf
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by flevolaf »

Drawing outside in this weather takes some courage ... and layers of clothes. But you managed to do some fine sketches. I find the drawing of the tree vigorous and exciting.

Olaf
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Love the strength of the supported tree against lighter background.
Norrtelje
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Norrtelje »

Hello ! I also like the tree, it is a stong drawing. Really nice!
Tessan in Norrtelje
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

I admire you that you drew that many in 0 temperature!!! You are really brave and the results are telling the harshness and the beauty. I also really love the contrast between the tree and the distant church look building.

Return to “26th World Wide SketchCrawl”