Riverhead, NY, USA (Results)

Saturday February 27 2010
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Riverhead, NY, USA (Results)

Post by Joan T »

I usuall do the sketchcrawls with my sister, but considering all the snow she had I decided to stay nearer to home. I went the the Atlantis Marine World Aquarium in Riverhead, NY.

Just inside I found the sting ray touch tank. I was able to sketch while the sting rays moved back and forth. There was a section with creatures that were babies. I found the Atlantic sea turtle there...it was gorgeous and fun to paint. A marsh display had a bridge overlooking shallow water with local marine life. That's where I found the sea robbin. I don't think they are very good to eat, but they are pretty to see in the water. I loved the colorful sea anemones in the display tanks. I think they may move more than the fish.

Outside was a separate display for the African penguins. If you ducked under the wall and crawled in a bit there was a tunnel that led to a plastic bubble inside the penguin enclosure. It put me nearer to the penguins so sketching them was easier. I also sketched the Japanese spider crab. They are huge and very strange. I spent a bit of time by the shark tank to sketch the sand tiger shark. It was huge and would pass by pretty close. The problem with sketching in the aquarium is that most of it is very dimly lit and you can't see what you're sketching.

For my final sketch of the day I sat near the tropical fish display. I had a small stool to sit on so it was comfortable to stay for a while. The plants and sea amemones are just gorgeous...full of life and color. The fish move quickly so I would start one and it would be gone, so I would start another one and it would soon be gone. Luckily most of them came back so I was able to finish most of them.

All in all the aquarium was a good place for a winter sketchcrawl!
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Riverhead, NY (Results)

Post by mhimeswc »

I love your aquarium sketches! You did a lot of them too! So now I know what a sea robin looks like. Your baby turtle is cute, and so are the penguins. But the tropical fish is super!!!! I love the colors! You were wise to go to the aquarium instead of painting snow with me.

Mickey
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Riverhead, NY, USA (Results)

Post by sumacm »

Love these -- now I can't wait to go sketch at an aquarium!

--sumacm
http://www.sumacm.blogspot.com
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Joan, wow wonderful sea creature sketches. Love the turtle, sea robin, Japanese crab, penguin, and the super super tropical tank. You had been working hard. :clap: :clap:

Ai
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Mickey - The aquarium was a good place for a winter sketchcrawl. Sketching the fish was fun. If I had nice snowy views like you did, I would have stayed home to sketch too.

Sumacm - Thanks. I alwyas forget how fast the fish move around...

Ai - Thanks. It was a fun place to sketch with a lot of color, especially some of the tropical tanks.
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

Nice work JoanT. I love the colours you captured on the tropical fish sketch. :D
Well done.
Dave
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Gorgeous use of watercolor, especially for the tropical fish panel.
kathyc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by kathyc »

Joan. Great idea going to the aquarium, wonderful pages, especially the tropical fish. I can't believe you're the only long islander whose posted so far. I'll have to take part in the next one.
Kathy :lol:
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

Very nice work! It's amazing how managed capture those quick little fish! Love the colors in the last one. :clap:
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Dave - Thanks so much! I haven't painted too many fish before.

Gaelwriter - Thanks! That tank of fish was fun!

Kathy - Thank yo. There are a lot of good places on LI to sketch. Did you participate? Where are you on Long Island?

Sunilo - Many thanks. I'll have to go back another time.
mogri
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mogri »

Nice color on the last sketch. Good job there Joan.
roberto malfatti
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by roberto malfatti »

Very nice work! :thumbup:

Return to “26th World Wide SketchCrawl”