London, UK [Results]

Saturday February 27 2010
HedgeWytch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

London, UK [Results]

Post by HedgeWytch »

Well, once again I missed out on joining the group in town because of work, but I managed to do a little bit of sketching on my own so I thought I might as well start the thread.

Not as exciting as my solo crawl last time (when I was given free paella after sketching a paella stall :thumbup: ), and the weather was dreadful, but I think I'm slowly improving.

Really looking forward to seeing the results from the group who met up in town :D
notnottana
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: London, UK [Results]

Post by notnottana »

don't worry. Important is "anyway" sketching.
Ciao
Luc
:)
miss Trop
Real Crawler
Real Crawler
France

Post by miss Trop »

The photo with the whole sketchbook is interesting !:)I love sketchbooks so much...
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

HedgeWytch, Very humor , starting your day with domestic equipment. I like the bridge too. Yes, the whole page view is fabulous.

Ai
ninnagreenland
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ninnagreenland »

I agree with miss Trop about the skecthbook, it looks nice to work with :)
~Ninna
Image My home :)
HedgeWytch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by HedgeWytch »

:lol: well, as I had to work I thought I might as well draw my work during a quick break :D

The sketchbook is one I made myself. I refilled a vintage book with blank pages, and when the pages are all full I take them out and bind them into new covers, then put more blank pages into the old covers:
http://hedgesketch.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... nning.html

(I'm really comfortable with that size book, and it looks just like a regular book so people don't notice straight away that I'm drawing :wink: )
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Great job, Hedge Wytch. The design of your set of three sketches are really cool and sophisticated.

5 of us joined up at Sloane Square then wandered off to the Victoria and Albert. Here are mine:

mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

From one "solo sketchcrawler" to another, I enjoyed your sketches of your day. Sorry you didn't get any free lunch this time. :-)

Tom D, great sketches too!
ghoobist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ghoobist »

HedgeWytch
I love the design on the cup (looks like a polar bear?) Cool details!

Tom D
The couple is great! Love the 'distorted' vehicles too :)

Chan Ghee
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Hedge Wytch- what a great idea to create panel art with your pretty watercolors.
Tom D- Love the character of your cars and the woman on the vespa!
crgcas
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
United States of America

Post by crgcas »

Tom D- what a great collection - those cars are a riot!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Hedgewytch, shame you couldn't join us again, but your sketches really seem to have captured the serene domestic day you ended up having. Great use of colour to bring focus to certain objects and the compositions are great! The panels are a fantastic touch.

Tom, great seeing these again, always love the the story you seem to bring into every drawing you do. Your observations of pigeon social groupings cracks me up. And there's the little subtle things too, like on Saturday, with the couple admiring the statue, I didn't notice how the way the man holds his wife mirrors the way the angel does. It's absolutely stunning.

Had an amazing time on Saturday, got to see some quite incredible things at the V&A and I learnt so much from everybody who came to sketch. It was also great to discuss drawing with other people who share an intense passion for it. Here are my sketches - sorry about the quality - sketchbook is a little thick to stand flat in the scanner so I ended up taking pictures of it instead. I think I'll be switching to ringbound/moleskine sketchbooks from now on because scanning problems aside, holding the thick spine of my sketchbook open for hours on Saturday absolutely killed my thumbs!

ghoobist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ghoobist »

Thek,

Great to see your stuff here! Wonderful observations! Your sketches keep getting better :) I find the woman with her back turned to us looking at the museum display particularly intriguing.

I wish I could have joined you guys there, but certain things were beyond my control :( Still, I'd have to make the best of my situation at the moment and hope one day we could have another sketchcrawl in the future.

Btw, I was using a different sort of pen for this sketchcrawl. Instead of a ball point pen which had given me more subtle strokes (soft search lines), I was using a thicker pen which gave the sketches a bolder look. In fact, they were so bold that no tweaking was necessary in Photoshop. Instead, I had to tweak the levels on the watercolour ones because they appear too light in the scans!

CG
HedgeWytch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by HedgeWytch »

Tom, your stuff is always awesome but I particularly love your taxis. I can barely get a car to look like a car, much less deliberately skew it - it's amazing to me!

Thek - hello! Your drawings are fab, full of life - and I love the use of the light washes for shadow in some of them :D *lacks the technical vocabulary but hopes you know what she's blithering on about*

Ghoobist - the mug? It's a Moomin mug :D It's my favourite :thumbup:

I haven't used panels to split pages before, but I liked the way it came out so I think I'll be doing that again. It was a good experiment!

Not sure if starting off my day by pressure washing some decking whilst fending off a jack russell counts as serene, but thank you :wink:

Already looking forward to the next one, and I WILL make it to meet people this time!
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Great results everyone. :thumbup:

Shame no paella this time Hedge

Return to “26th World Wide SketchCrawl”