Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

Saturday February 27 2010
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

Post by eyes »

My family and I joined the Bangkok Sketchers group (about 10 of us) and 27 architecture students from Rungsit University at the memorable location of Klong-bang-luang gallery by canal one the west-side of Bangkok. We started around 9:30 am. and sketched for a while at the gallery then we hopped on the two long tail boats to tour and sketch around the canals. Sometimes we had the luxury of finding a place to park the boat and sketched in a 5-10 min. session before keep on going but most of the time we all had to adapt to sketch while we were in the moving boat. So many of my sketches from the boat are done in line only or either I used NeoColor crayon-stick for color, and applied water/watercolor to the sketches later at home. I am glad that today my DH and my 4.8 year old daughter Iris could join me. Iris did several sketches and enjoy the boat ride. She also did two more sketches at home once we got back.

Since our outing today covers the sketches of almost 40 Thai sketchers, so please do check back for all the variety of us.

Special Thanks to all my Thai sketcher friends who made today a fun and memorable WorldWideSketchCrawl and AjarnKoa, the artist and owner of the gallery by the canal that we all hung out for this outing.

Cheers,

Ai
===============
First part, locations and our end of day sketches:

Second part, two of my sketches done at the gallery by canal:

Third part, my sketches done during the boat trip:
-Houses along the canal.
- Pak-Num-Temple, with monks having lunch.
- Kao-Temple
- Thai boys played on the rope swing by the canal.
--A foreign tourist passed out on the bench at the orchid farm due to the heat and humidity.

Fourth part, Iris boat sketches done at the location:

Fifth part, Iris sketches done later at home: She drew me from life in our living room and the last one is another view of our living room.

Thanks for looking.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

Post by gustavo »

That is great! almost 40 people - we can't wait to see more!

The first watercolor is very nice, with the second one I try to imagine how colorful the area is (never been there). Sketching in the boat sounds like a challenge, as it sounds there is constant movement.

I will check back later, thank you for taking the time to share!
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
karynz
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by karynz »

Yes! More please! I miss BKK!
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by alissa »

WOW - great bright colours ! Great to see Iris starting her sketchcrawling so young. The canal boats sound very interesting and different.
beth
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by beth »

what a beautiful riot of color! especially love the two vases. wonderful to see your group and how you capture your day!
Jenny Lam
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Jenny Lam »

Such rich colors! I love that your daughter joined in on the fun.
anneF38
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by anneF38 »

ride and sketch on a boat ! what a great idea ! sure it had been a nice day for you all. Little Iris is walking in her mother steps !
qsima
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by qsima »

SketchCrawl 26 Day. February 27, 2010

Baan Silpin (the Artist Place), from 2nd floor

Life along the canal, lunch time at a temple. Sketching on the boat

Wat Koah, another sketch on the boat

Bangluang Canal, a beautiful place
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Ai - Wonderful last sketchcrawl before the baby arrives. I love that you were able to join with so many other sketchcrawlers too. Great photos. I love your sketch of the boat...so colorful!! I think that one is my favorite. I also like the one of the temple and that poor tourist. Congratulate Iris on her wonderful sketches. Thanks for sharing.

Qsima - Lovely photos...especially the painting setup. Nice view out that window. You have nice depth to your sketches. I love the last one.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Hello, Ai! It was easy to find your post because Joan posted right before me. :-)

Sketching from a moving boat! That's a challenge I haven't tried yet. Love your sketches! And Iris' too. You are training her to be a good sketchcrawler.

Qsima - excellent sketches too. I like the canal one best.
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Michelle & Joan: Thanks so much for your kind words. Iris just starts to draw things from life in the past few weeks. I just leave so many color pencils around the house and also take them with us during trip. I hope she grow up to be my sketch buddy. Sketching from the boat is sure a challenge. We can get dizzy trying to draw while the boat is moving and luckily that most of the time our boat were going quite slow speed.

Qsima: Are you P'Wan? Your line and colors are so lovely. Fantastic on the Wat-Paknum-Nua and all, especially the last canal view from the artist home.

Ai
qsima
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by qsima »

Thanks so much Joan & mhimewc, you're very kind! :lol:
Khun Ai, of course i am PWhan... :wave: what i love the most is that farang passed out on the bench front of orchid farm. One has to see it to know u're a very quick sketcher!
But i haven't seen the red bucket post box?!?
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by asnee »

Well, they don't say, LADIES FIRST for nothing, i realised.. you two are fast and fun... love all the colors and mood well portrayed. K Whan did so many pieces, that's amazing, i thought you went for a quiet time up stair.. Ai, try Iris on BIG, FAT crayon, i guess she'll love it.

it was indeed fun with so many people around although i found myself looking at something else more than sketching paper! however, i did a few on the boat ride and, other than those few stops, i made the rest of them up from what i just have seen from the corners of my eyes... what a wierd way to sketch..

below, as veiwed from the back of the long tail boat and a small shade with steps at front of a canal house, I managed to capture a few minutes worth of outline before the boat drifted away..
Image..Image

houses along the canal
Image..Image
and the power that brought us around, a massive chunk of deisel engine with a propeller at the end of a long shaft, hence the famous "long tail"
and this long tail thing proved to be a double-sided sword. It is as useful for its versatility and economy as much as its destructive power and effect, both physically on the canal banks and building and environmentally for its unforgivable noise and fume.

well, let's move on to something more appitising... we had a simple, great lunch at the onle few stalls around. a rather long waits but is worth every minutes of the time.

across the other side of the canal (net work!) stood another temple with some elaborate wall painting and a massive temple gate in bad needs of help
Image..Image

And that was what i have for this crawl, following some glimpse of other participants from Rungsit University. They might take a bit of time but, please do come back and enjoy what these enthsiastic young people have to share with you.

and not to forget, more from the BANGKOK SKETCHERS too..

more teaser.. like:
and this
i don't think you want to miss it...

Hope you enjoy my crawl and see all soon on the next one.. cheers for now..
Maki
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Maki »

Wow! So beautiful colors!!
eyes, your watercolor takes are so nice. And other tools are great, too. What tool did you use for the third and forth one? Pastel? So nice.
qsima, they are beautiful colors! I love the last one the most. Full of water!
asnee, I like the first two sketches. Golden roofed canal house is interesting. And I enjoyed delightful photos too. You seem so enjoyed the day! Thankyou for sharing. :)
sunilo
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sunilo »

Great idea sketching on a boat!

Ai–Beautiful colors and and such a nice variety of techniques! It wonderful that you went sketching with your family. (Pass my compliments along to Iris as well. Here drawings are both fun and confident! It's nice that she's drawing from life.)

qsima—Great use of the watercolors. Love those views of the canal.

asnee–I really like your combination of the bold crayons with the washes and thinner lines!

Return to “26th World Wide SketchCrawl”