Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

Post by eyes »

Well it is so great to be a part of #25SketchCrawl, the 5th anniversary !!!

This time, our Bangkok friends are mostly busy with their business, so I set out to do a solo crawl in the morning and later I met two other Bangkok sketchers in the evening. In addition, my babysitter could not make it, so my DH and my 4 year old daughter, Iris, joined along with me from 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. I was afraid that my daughter would feel boring and uncomfortable to have to tag along mommy sketching. Luckily, we got cool weather, and we minimized walking and only using Tuk-Tuk or Taxi to hop from one spot (cafe) to other spot (cafe). Things went well and we all have fun. It is too bad that Iris did some sketching of the sculptures at the sculpture garden but she later destroyed it unintentionally. She did it her way, the stick-figure style but she quickly scribbled many colors over it before I can take a photo of it.

Here are the summary shot of my locations:

#1 In the morning, I had to pick up my baby health check report from Siriraj hospital, the biggest state hospital in Thailand. Before I left the place, I stopped at the hospital plaza where Thai people went to pay respect to The King's father monument, who also the father of Thai medicine, and Thai people also gathered to write well-wish messages to our beloved King who resides at the hospital at the moment.

#2 We crossed Chao Phraya River to Tha-Chang pier, heading to the sculpture garden of Univ. of Fine Arts. Iris, did some sketches of the sculptures with me here. In the middle of sketching, one bug landed on my sketchbook, so I sketched him in my left corner of my sketchbook, that is why you see the big bug on the left top side of the building.... not that the bug is that huge.

#3 We walk 100 yards, down to a cafe opposite the entrance of the Grand Palace, we call this gate "Wiset-Chai-Sri-Gate".

#4 After our lunch, our family moved on to sketch in a cozy cafe, "Passport Cafe", in the vintage district of Bangkok. This is the spot where I later met with two SketchCrawler, P'Asnee, and K.Nate. We had some talks and sketched some scenes in side the cafe. I ended my SketchCrawl there, but P'Asnee and K.Nate were meeting up with two more Thai sketchers to cover more of Bangkok vintage landmarks.

And here are my sketches:
Sketch1 -- I did a quick morning sketch warm up of my neighbor walking her dog.
Sketch2 -- Monument plaza at Siriraj hospital
Sketch3 -- The bug that landed on my sketch book
Sketch4 -- Sculpture garden#1 -- Univ. of Fine Arts
Sketch5 -- Sculpture garden#2 -- Univ. of Fine Arts
Sketch6 -- Entrance of the Grand Palace
Sketch7 -- Inside "Passport Cafe/Bookstore with my DH, Tone, and Miss Iris

Thanks for looking.

Ai
ninnagreenland
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Bangkok - THAILAND [RESULTS]

Post by ninnagreenland »

Hi.

I like your sketches, so many colors, it's really nice :)

~From Greenland
Image My home :)
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Thank you so much Snowangel.

Ai
rohit
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rohit »

very nice and colourful sketches...
Becco
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Becco »

Beautiful water colors! I feel happiness.
Becco/Japan
BLOG
jt_cr
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jt_cr »

Vibrant watercolors!!! the lady sitting in front of the yellow building is great :thumbup: :clap:
ALPHA FO
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ALPHA FO »

Hello,khun eyes
your sketches is verey nice
Maki
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Maki »

Hi, eyes!
Those are nice sketches!
Well detailed and colorful. I like the last one.
travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Fabulous work again eyes!!!! :clap:
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Ai - Super job!!! Love the little photos of the day. Adorable sketch of your neighbor and his dog. The sketch of the plaza really shows the proportion of the building to the people...nice! Great bug and sculpture garden sketches. Wonderful job on the sketch at the bookstore with Iris and Tone. You all look like you had fun!
karynz
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by karynz »

Oh! These sketches give me really good memories of your city! I lived there for 6 months last year. Such a great city! More! More! Thank you so much for putting them up for us all to enjoy! :clap:
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by asnee »

Hello Khun Ai and everyone. sorry i am awfully late but very happy to report my venture for the skethcrawl 25 now.
I started around 9 at Chalermkrung Royal Theater, a landmark on the western end of Charoenkrung Road.
While wating for Nest, a 4th year arch. student from Rangsit U, i did a small sketch of a famous Thai chain restuarant S&P. and of course, the hot expresso was wholesome..

Nest arrived finally, after his quick breakfas bite, we found some shady spot across for the sketch of the theater that used to be an IN place that every one would come TO BE SEEN some 60 years ago.

and then proceed to Phrayasri Junction, one of the major junction of that period. One of the two tram lines of Bangkok use to pass through this junction.
and yes, we'd buy insurance for your next trip! but last Saturday, Nest survived the sketchcrawl alright.

Just before lunch while we hung around the kurb side, an angel drop by with her mom. She tried out her skill on Nest's sketchbook with a steady hand and lovely image of her dad. Nest will post that later.
and my sketch of the 6 years old angel.

an unlikely entity among the past glories
which is just righ opposite Wat Rajchabobhit, with its geat grand structure and motif

finally we arrive at Saochingcha Junction leading to the roya giant swing ground, Saochingcha next to one of the major temple, Wat Suthat.

Around 4 PM, Nest and I met up with khun Ai and her family at a charming book cafe called Passport, an alternative reading den that could keep you glue to its collection for a day or two. a lovely place indeed!
my shot of the Passport, had not shown it to the shop yet and hope they could recognise themselves...

It was a wonderful day, a sketchcrawl day with a rare pleasant cool weather in Bangkok. We have a few cool days now and again during cool, dry season (Nov to Feb) in aThailand, and this year seems to start early. My sketchcrawl day destination is best seen, more or less as below:
with the starting point on the left and endind some where around the Queen's Gallery further up (right map)

SketchCrawl today really fulfill my intention to capture these charming area of old Bangkok. I am truly happy for the occasion and just would like to thank SketchCrawl for this wonderful opportunity. I would truly appreciate all you visits and comments and really look forward to the next CRAWL soon.
Finally, I would also like to congratulate and join all in celebrating our 5th SketchCrawl Anniversary with this posting.
Thank you all and cheers.
Asnee
Last edited by asnee on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Thank you Rohit, Becco, Alpha_Fo, travelingsuep, Joan, karynz, Maki, and jt_cr for your kind comments. Pls. check back; we'll have some more Bangkok posting to come.

P'Asnee: Awesome lines for all the recording of the old glories. Angel sketches are very sweet too. It is great to see K.Nest and Nong.Angel to join you.

Ai
KarinH
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by KarinH »

Hi Bangkok sketchers -

very nice sketches - I love the architectural ones that show all the different styles compared to what we have here !
And the Passport cafe ...
Just re-scheduled by vacation for February - but it still has 3 days in Bangkok in it (~ Feb.19-21) and I will get in touch to see if anybody is available to do a sketchcrawl on one of those days. Or maybe it coincides with the next "official" sketchcrawl ?
Anyway, looking forward to seeing some more of your sketches - and then Bangkok for sketching. :thumbup:

KarinH from Munich/Germany
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by asnee »

thank you karin for dropping by and your kind comments..
yes, we could try to meet when you visit, bangkok might still have cool days in feb, please keep in touch on your trip
cheers..

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”